Signing ActiveX control to use in ASP.NET web page

jignesh

I have developed a ActiveX control and place it in a ASP.NET web page.
I am able to use the control very well when the web page is viewed
locally.

When any other machine is trying to open the same page the control is
unable to get download on that machine as the control is not signed.

If anyone has worked on signing activeX control then can he/she
explain me the procedure to do so. My need is to run the control in
the boundary of intranet.

I have gone through some msdn sites but I want to know how practically
it is being done.

jignesh

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response.

I was unable to access the first link. Can you just post the content
here.

Even I have already checked the second link on google and check out
the various options there.

But can you tell me what would be best suited for signing an ActiveX
control for intranet usage.

Also whether i would be requiring to pay anything from my pocket for
signing purpose.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I was unable to access the first link. Can you just post the content
here.

I only posted one link...
But can you tell me what would be best suited for signing an ActiveX
control for intranet usage.

You would need a certificate from a trusted provider e.g. Thawte, Verisign,
GeoTrust etc...
Also whether i would be requiring to pay anything from my pocket for
signing purpose.

Yes.

jignesh

Mark, thank you for the reply.

I tried my best to get the free certificate that i can used to have my
activeX working in the web page. And you won't believe, but we did
manage to do it.

We used the -r option with the makecert to create the certificate and
then use it to sign our activeX.

In this case microsoft browser doesn't trust the certificate we have.
But once the certificate is included in trusted list, we can have our
activeX downloaded from a server to any comp on intranet.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I tried my best to get the free certificate that i can used to have my
activeX working in the web page. And you won't believe, but we did
manage to do it.

Are you sure that this use is permitted in a production environment...?