ASP.NET and Linux

darrel

Most people who use PHP are the younger crowd who got into PHP on their
own,
since it's open source and cheap I guess.

As well as being a very capable scripting language with a plethora of
libraries out there and a wide array of p2p support options.
Anyway, my point was why would you use .NET on Linux.

duh...so you don't have to deal with a windows server! ;o)

-Darrel

Lau Lei Cheong

I still have concern about Virtual PC.

As Microsoft is shipping Virtual PC for Mac, I suppose it's LEGAL for
running Windows application on an emulator. Or you're saying that Microsoft
is selling tool for people to use some other products illegally?

I agree that there will not be any official support for running these
products on an emulator, but saying that it's illegal to do so doesn't seems
logical to me. (Perhaps there's some software explicitly states that you
have to run it on Windows, but I can't form effective query to find them on
search engines)

Here's some extra maybe relevent information: While WINE is developed to
allow Windows programs to run on *nix platform, Microsoft is working on
another project that would allow *nix application to run on Longhorn and
later releases of Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/

Curt_C [MVP]

VPC doesn't include a license for the OS, you still gotta buy that. Then you
do have Windows running, so in essence it should be fine. Personally VPC is
only something I use to test though, not for production usage.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

Derek Davidson

Curt_C said:
VPC doesn't include a license for the OS, you still gotta buy that.

True enough. Thank heavens for my MSDN Universal subscription <g>.