ASP.NET and Office

KA Kueh

Dear all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to activiate the printing function of MS
Office XP via Automation in ASP.NET? FYI, there is MS Office XP install and
printer is attached to the Web server. I am look at print at the server
side only. Thanks.

Regards,
Kueh.

Shan Plourde

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...59-0a86-4fb2-a7ee-5f3a499515dd&displaylang=en

If your server does not have office installed you can install this
library. Otherwise its included with Office installations. I will be
using this library in fact to fill out and return templatized Excels to
HTML clients in the near future. I believe that this is the best
approach to go even for things like printing. The idea is that the
Office COM components are normally not very web friendly / scalable and
this library is supposed to be better suited on a web server.

Shan Plourde

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

OWC is not very scalable either for server side applications and it does not
provide printing support.

Shan Plourde

Hi Alvin,
This is intersting information to know. Do you know of free libraries or
design best practices to help increase the scalability of OWC then? Do
you have any practical experience using any of these types of libraries?
Thanks
Shan Plourde

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

i have a tiny bit of experience. here's a website talking about owc
http://tinyurl.com/27cok

in my experience, these shortfalls can be overcome once you understand the
limitations. the other components which provide excel like functionality
come with a steap fee. softartisans comes to mind for example.