ASP.NET Compiler Ingoring DataList

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jonathan, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    Very, very strange problem. In developing a C# ASP.NET
    application, every so often, DataLists disappear from the
    build. They remain visible and rendered (though
    sometimes dropping properties and event handlers) but do
    not seem to be included in the build (and are
    consequently not rendered on the web page). I've looked
    into the problem throughly, comparing output library
    sizes and it seems as though DataLists (all datalists on
    a page) are not parses and included properly by the
    ASP.NET parser tool. Though, I am not sure whether the
    problem lies is VS.NET or not. Sometimes, I can "force"
    the page to rerecognize the control as existing, but then
    on rendering the web page I get an error essentially
    saying that there is no bound datasource. The datasource
    was bound in the ASP tag itself and not is the code
    behind the page, which leads me to believe that the
    problem lies in the ASP.NET processor. I've even gone so
    far as to reinstall VS.NET and the .NET framework to no
    avail.

    Though, another interesting twist that I found was that
    at the same time the DataLists were not rendering, it
    seems the data from a DropDownList which I had added
    manually (not a DataBind) in the PageLoad event was being
    dropped and not showing up either. Other pre-compiled
    custom controls on the page which have similar
    functionality (essentially DropDownList's with
    data/manually bound list items) were not affected though.

    Hmmm...

    Any ideas? Please please let me know. This is driving
    me absolutely nuts and has virtually ceased development
    for about a week now.

    Thanks a lot,
    Jonathan Hollinger

    Jonathan, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Jonathan

    Bob Barrows Guest

    You need to ask this on a dotnet list. This is a classic asp list so there
    aren't many dotnet people here.

    Bob

    Bob Barrows, Aug 18, 2003