ASP.NET pages stopped working

Mark E

Hi Group,

I have a new Dell server that has the .NET Framework 1.1
installed on Windows 2000 SP 3.

All was well until I installed Project Server 2002. All
of a sudden my ASP.NET pages stopped working. When I try,
I get the following error:

<START>
Runtime Error
The current custom error settings for this application
prevent the details of the application error from being
viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error
message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a
<customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration
file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have
its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<END>

I started by unistalling Project Server 2002, but that
didn't help.

I noticed that I wasn't getting the specific errors any
more. I checked my web.config file and it's still there.
But I can't get the server to send the error. I deleted
and recreated the file, but no luck.

I reinstalled IIS5 and the .NET Framework with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Joao S Cardoso [MVP]

The first thing to do is to change web.config and on
<customErrors> tag put mode=Off

Run the asp.net page again and you will be able to get more details.

Also take a look at the event log for any errors related with IIS, ISAPI
extentions or WWW publishing.

regards

Joao Cardoso (MVP dotNET)

Mark E

Hi Joao,

My web.config file already has the mode=off.

When I first installed .NET Framework, I didn't have the
wen.config file. After I experienced my first error, I
saw the note about adding it and I did. After that, I was
able to get details on any errors. Until I installed Proj
Server 2002.

Although I deleted & recreated the web.config file, it
still doesn't show errors.

As far as the event log, here is where I went to look:

Start -> Setting -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools ->
Computer Management -> Event Viewer -> System

There were no entries with errors. As a matter of fact,
there were none that showed an error.

Am I looking in the right place for the even log???

Thanks,
Mark