ASP.NET stopped working

Guest

Hi everybody,

I've got a very strange problem:
I'm developing asp.net applications with VS 2003.
This morning suddenly I get this error message:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

The event log shows:
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account.

my website is set to run under the ASPNET account,
and I checked to make sure it has full permissions to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Nothing changed on my computer between yesterday & today,
So I have no Idea why this would suddenly happen.

My OS is Windows XP sp1.

Thanks
Nadav

tom.pesterDeLeTeTHISSS

Strange indeed. I bet you already tried a restart. Maybe windows downloaded
a patch in the background? You can check this in the config screen for installed
programs.

Cheers,
Tom Pester

Aaron Corcoran

Nadav,

As mentioned above, a restart would be a good idea. You can even do an
'iisreset' from the command prompt to simply reset the IIS service.
This in turn should clear up any possible memory leaks that may have
caused the service to either stop responding, or stop altogether.
Usually it says the service is running in this instance, however, it is
utilizing quite a bit of memory.

If you still have the issue after an 'iisreset', a complete restart
sounds like the best solution. It is often times frustrating when
something works one day and simple ceases the next without any
reasonable explanation. We have all experienced that before, so please
keep us informed and we will try to aid you in your progress.

Are you running indexing service by chance? I've experienced some odd
behaviors at times when it locks files at certain intervals for
indexing. If so, possibly stop the service for a termporary period and
once again try to run the application.

Aaron

Guest

Hi tom,
I've did a restart, no change.
My windows is set to download updates, but not to install them untill I
manually do it, so it should not have updated anything.

So for Now, I'm stuck.
This is very irrigating. One of the reasons I haven't install SP2 was
because I was afraid something like this would happen.
And now it happened anyway.
Nadav

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nadav,

The problem you encountered is a common issue and many other ones also have
encountered. Based on my experience, it is possibly caused by some
anti-virus software or other 3rd party tools, is there any existing
similiar sotwares running on your box?

Don't worry, we can still try the following troubleshooting steps:
1. using the
aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i

commands to uninstall and reinstall the ASP.NET on your machine. Then, put
a very simple helloworld aspx page (no codebehind) under your IIS's default
site's root to see whether it works.

2. If still getting the error ( and the same access permission error of
worker process in eventlog), we can try running the page again and this
time use the filemon tool to monitor the file accessing status. If there
did exist any permission denied error of worker process when accessing any
certain files, we can capture it in filemon.

Please have a test to see whether it can help find any clues. If any other
finding, please also feel free to pos there.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi Steven,

I unregistered & reregistered the asp.net. No change.

I created a simple aspx page (an html page saved with .aspx extention).
can't run it. get same problem.

What exactly am I suppossed to look for with the filemon tool?

Nadav

Guest

Hi Aaron,

I've stopped and started the Web Site from the IIS console,
And I've restarted the computer. No change.

I do NOT run Indexing service, so that's not the problem.

Thanks Anyway,
Nadav

:

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nadav,

Since the error message in your eventlog indicate that there're access
denied error during your asp.net workerprocess's startup time, so I think
we need to pay attention to those access failures on the ASP.NET/.net
related configuration/ cacheing folder, such as the machine.config's file
and ASP.NET's temporary file folder.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi Steven,

I've run filemon.

the only error I get that seems to have any connection to our problem is

20:43:56 inetinfo.exe:1364 OPEN C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_wp.exe.Manifest NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
but as far as I know aspnet_wp.exe never had a manifest file.
I even looked at another computer in our company to see if there is an
manifest file there and there isn't.
So I don't know what it going on here.

Nadav

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Nadav,

So is the
===========
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that
the
NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account.
============
event entriy still occurring in your dev box's eventlog or is there any
other access denied info? If so, I think it is still likely a security
setting issue. We can try checking the security setting by the following
means:

1. Locate the .net framework's machine.config file on your xp box (under
the .net framework's installation folder) and then lookup the
<processModel> setting in machine.config and check what's your current
setting for the "userName" and "password" attributes, by default they
should be "Machine" and "AutoGenerate", if you're specifying a custom
account, that could be the problem.

2. If the above setting is as default setting( using userName="Machine" and
password="AutoGenerate"), please try changing it to userName="SYSTEM"
password remain "AutoGenerate". Save the machine.config and perform a
"IISreset" for your box to let the modification take effect. After that,
try running your application or that simple helloworld page(under default
site root) again to see whether you still get Server Application
Unavailable or access denied event.

If there're any thing unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi Steven,

It Works!
changing the userName setting to "SYSTEM" solved the problem!

thanks! this thing have been driving me crazy...

Nadav

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nadav,

Really good news! However, I don't think this has resolved your problem
thoroughly since using SYSTEM is not a recommeded means which grant the
ASP.NET process too much privileges and permissions. We just use this to
confirm that this is a security setting issue. So if you really want to
resolve the problem thoroughly, I think we still need to checking the
default "Machine" setting which use the machine\aspnet account as the
process identity. You can switch back the <processModel> 's setting to
machine and then testing through filemon to see whether you've missed any
access failures. Also, here are two tech articles which help you get what
permissions and privilleges the ASP.NET process account need:

#How To Create a Custom Account to Run ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html
/secmod15.asp

#Process and request identity in ASP.NET
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317012

Hope also helps. Good luck!