ASP.NET Threading, IIS pipeline and HTTP

Rod

Hi,
I have a frameset with two frames.
The .aspx page for each frame contains a button with a server click event
handler assigned.
The server code for one button runs a time consuming process, the code for
the second button updates a text field on the same page.

The way I understand it the aspnet_wp process has a thread pool and each
request is assigned to a thread, so what I would expect to happen is that I
could click the button on the page in the first frame, the form would submit
and the time consuming process would start. Then if I clicked the button on
the page in the second frame its page would submit and the text would be
updated concurrently.

This doesn't happen. The request from the second button click seems to be
queued somewhere and isn't processed until the server process for the first
button click has completed.

I'm aware that HTTP 1.1 imposes some restrictions so my Web.Config has a
<system.net>
<connectionManagement>
<add address="*" maxconnection="100"/>
</connectionManagement>
</system.net>
section.

Looking at the network activity I can see the HTTP POST from the second
button click being sent immediately but the code behind page-load handler
never sees it until the first page's processing is complete.

My code doesn't contain any ASPCompat settings or anything else that I think
could affect the way it runs. I'm using .NET 2.0, XP SP2 and IIS 5.1.

Am I missing a Web.Config setting here to get concurrent processing or is
this an IIS pipelining issue or is my understanding of the ASP.NET
threading model completely wrong?

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

if you asp.net sessions, then the requests are queued, as session management
is not designed for concurrent access to the same session. you just need to
turn sessions off. note - the browser will limit you to 2 concurrent
requests.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Rod

bruce barker (sqlwork.com) said:
if you asp.net sessions, then the requests are queued, as session
management is not designed for concurrent access to the same session. you
just need to turn sessions off. note - the browser will limit you to 2
concurrent requests.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)
Thank you! I don't like the answer but it appears to be the correct one :)