ASP startup confusion

Gerry Hickman

Hi,

(Classic ASP using Windows 2000 server (or pro) SP4 with IIS5)

I have a simple ASP page that processes an HTML form. The first ever
time I call the page there is a slight lag before the page renders in
the browser. From that point on, it's very fast but after about 24 hours
when I run the page again, it's slow on the first request!

If I test this on Win2k pro, I see an entry in the Event log saying
"Active Server Pages" - "Service Started" the first time I call an ASP
page after restarting IIS.

It seems the ASP.DLL does not load until the first ASP page is
requested? If that's the case, at what point does ASP unload?

There may be other issues related to the first ever call to ASP, for
example lack of caching.

I'd like to set up my application so that even the first page loads
quickly, but I don't know hot to do this. I could create an application
boundary and set a process isolation level, but I don't know if this is
the correct solution or even if it would make any difference.

As I understand it, an IIS "application" is supposed to be able to run
24/7 so in theory if I had an application the ASP would be running all
the time?