ASP vs. CGI?

Laser Lu

In ASP and CGI, which one would be executed more fast and has the better
execution efficiency in IIS?
And how about writing CGI in VB?

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

*groan*

Which is better, peanut butter or honey?

These questions do absolutely nothing except start religious flame wars.

Search the web.

Harag

peanut butter with nuts!!!

I just love Peanut Butter & treacle (syrup to the USA) sarnies :)

Al.

Jeff Cochran

In ASP and CGI, which one would be executed more fast and has the better
execution efficiency in IIS?
Absolutely.

And how about writing CGI in VB?

There is that option.

Jeff

Ray at

Honey is good in tea and in graham crackers. Peanut butter is a bit weird.

Ray at work

William Morris

What do you know how to program in? Perl? Cool, go CGI. VB? Cool, go
ASP. Your ISP is Linux/Unix, you say? Cool, go CGI. What? They've got
ChiliSoft? Oh, well, then go ASP. But you don't know VB? Oh, then go CGI.
Wait, you bought an VBScript book? ASP's the thing for you.

Leverage what you got Laser...since in most cases the server is going to
process stuff a lot faster than your users will ever see stuff in their
browser, it hardly matters.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Exactly.

Let's say an ASP page handles a certain task in 0.5 seconds. And CGI takes
0.6 seconds. However, your knowledge is in CGI.

Is it worth it to take the learning curve hit, switch all of your code over
to ASP, to gain 0.1 seconds that no human is ever going to notice? And
introduce the risk of bugs or other unexpected behavior?

Now, a lot of the JSP sites I've been to might be able to take advantage of
a switch. But I'm betting it's the coding style, hardware, or database
limitations that is causing the slowdown, not a technology choice. Anybody
can make a particular technology perform poorly or incorrectly, and it takes
surprisingly little effort.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

Laser Lu

Aaron, thank you for guiding me.
Now, I'm planning developing an Application using Classic ASP. And, I've
once heard that, in ASP, JScript is a flexible script language, but takes
the lower execution efficiency than VBScript does. I wonder if it is true,
since I have learned both of these two script languages and have to make a
choice.

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

once heard that, in ASP, JScript is a flexible script language, but takes
the lower execution efficiency than VBScript does.

No, this is not true. Program with whichever language you're more
comfortable with (or the rest of your team, or who is most likely to take
over the code should you leave).

There are a few huge JScript proponents here, however I think most of the
help you'll find will be from users proficient in VBScript and so-so in
JScript. Also, many of the sample/FAQ sites (including mine) show code
samples that are primarily VBScript-based. So if you want to integrate
existing samples quickly, VBScript might be a better choice. Microsoft's
documentation is better than it once was, but I'm finding the MSDN library
increasingly difficult to search -- most of the stuff I search for shows 20
pages of .NET stuff before it ever gets to ASP samples.

Brynn

Most of the developers I have worked with do VBScript ASP, Javascript
Client-side, VB Com (only when necessary), SQL Database

Brynn

Guest

dont see your point at all. you can make CGI in VB easily, so what the point
for these comparsion and examples that CGI can be done in Perl only?? You
can write CGI app (CGI is jus a term, not a language) in any language as you
wish, VB, C++, Rapid-Q, BLOC, whatever.

message : What do you know how to program in? Perl? Cool, go CGI. VB? Cool, go
: ASP. Your ISP is Linux/Unix, you say? Cool, go CGI. What? They've got
: ChiliSoft? Oh, well, then go ASP. But you don't know VB? Oh, then go
CGI.
: Wait, you bought an VBScript book? ASP's the thing for you.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I think he was just saying that if you're familiar with the VB language, it
will be very easy to learn ASP (if you choose VBScript as your ASP
language).

Guest

Who knows =) maybe...

: I think he was just saying that if you're familiar with the VB language,
it
: will be very easy to learn ASP (if you choose VBScript as your ASP
: language).
:
: --
: Aaron Bertrand
: SQL Server MVP
: http://www.aspfaq.com/
:

William Morris

I've given up going to the MSDN site; it's f'n worthless. I can get what I
want from newsgroups ~ orders of magnitude faster ~ than I can by relying on
Microsoft's own documentation.