AspNetHostingPermission trouble - How do you develop custom controls?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by news.microsoft.com, May 24, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to develop a custom web control but I can't add it to an aspx
    page through the VS.NET designer. Nothing happens when I try and if I switch
    to HTML view and add it there I get the follwing error in the designer (even
    though the application works when I run it):

    Parser Error: Request for the permission of type
    System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System Verion: 1.0.5000.0, Culture:
    neutral, PublicKeyToken: b77a5c561934e089 failed.

    As usual everthing works as it should if I run with administrator
    privileges...

    I assume the problem is related to how/where VS.NET loads the control dll
    from. Is there any way to configure the .NET security (or whatever causes
    the problem) so that I can develop and test web control libraries from my
    non-admin account? It seems that registering them in the GAC does solve the
    problem but then I have to have an administrator prompt open to
    register/unregister the dll everytime it is built. Or does everyone here run
    as administrator? Any tips or explanations would be most welcome... Thanks.

    Patrik

    news.microsoft.com, May 24, 2004