aspx pages not rendered/handled

Guest

For about 5 days I've been trying to fix a problem with asp.net on a windows
xp media center pc with iis 5.1.
Initially I could not debug asp.net applications, and came to discover that
aspx and some other asp.net extensions were not registered to be managed by
an isapi filter. I tried running aspnet_regiis, uninstalling and reinstalling
iis, along with removing and reinstalling the framework multiple times.
Despite reinstalling I can't get these pages to render html and classic asp
pages work just fine. Aspx pages don't render even if they don't have any
page or server tags.

Guest

One more note. It seems like attempting to browse to an aspx page keeps
crashing the iis server. I however can't find any eventlog entries saying why
this happened.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Damian,

From your description, you have a windows XP media center box and currently
you found that any aspx pages hosted in IIS can not be correctly displayed
and the IIS process will crash, correct?

As for this issue, if the ASP.NET registering/.net framework installation
is correct, the problem should be specific to the ASP.NET worker process
and its process model setting. Are you using .net framework 1.1/ASP.NET
1.1 or ..net framework 2.0/ASP.NET 2.0? Also, have you the visual studio
2003/2005 installed?

If you're using the ASP.NET 2.0 and have visual studio 2005 installed, you
can consider using the file system base project to create an ASP.NET
application on file system(out of IIS) and test it through the .net 2.0
Test Webserver to see whether it works. If this can work, the problem
should be specfiic to the IIS process model. BTW, on windows XP/IIS5,
asp.net is running in the aspnet_wp.exe process, have you ever seen this
process started when you try running ASP.NET application on the box. By
default aspnet_wp.exe worker process will run under the machine\ASPNET
account, this can be configured through the <processModel> element in the
machine.config file(in framework folder). I suggest you try changing it to
local system account to see whether it works.

e.g.

<processModel userName="SYSTEM" password="AutoGenerate" />

If changing to local system account can make it work, it seems there is
something wrong with the machine\ASPNET local account on the machine.

#Process and request identity in ASP.NET
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317012/en-us

In addition, have you looked up the IIS log on the machine to see whether
there is any entries indicate the error?

Please feel free to let me know if there is any other finding.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.