    Despite reinstalling I can't get these pages to render html and classic asp
    pages work just fine. Aspx pages don't render even if they don't have any
    page or server tags.

    Guest, Aug 28, 2006

    Guest Guest

    One more note. It seems like attempting to browse to an aspx page keeps
    crashing the iis server. I however can't find any eventlog entries saying why
    this happened.

    Guest, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Hello Damian,

    From your description, you have a windows XP media center box and currently
    you found that any aspx pages hosted in IIS can not be correctly displayed
    and the IIS process will crash, correct?

    As for this issue, if the ASP.NET registering/.net framework installation
    is correct, the problem should be specific to the ASP.NET worker process
    and its process model setting. Are you using .net framework 1.1/ASP.NET
    1.1 or ..net framework 2.0/ASP.NET 2.0? Also, have you the visual studio
    2003/2005 installed?

    If you're using the ASP.NET 2.0 and have visual studio 2005 installed, you
    can consider using the file system base project to create an ASP.NET
    application on file system(out of IIS) and test it through the .net 2.0
    Test Webserver to see whether it works. If this can work, the problem
    should be specfiic to the IIS process model. BTW, on windows XP/IIS5,
    asp.net is running in the aspnet_wp.exe process, have you ever seen this
    process started when you try running ASP.NET application on the box. By
    default aspnet_wp.exe worker process will run under the machine\ASPNET
    account, this can be configured through the <processModel> element in the
    machine.config file(in framework folder). I suggest you try changing it to
    local system account to see whether it works.

    e.g.

    <processModel userName="SYSTEM" password="AutoGenerate" />

    If changing to local system account can make it work, it seems there is
    something wrong with the machine\ASPNET local account on the machine.

    #Process and request identity in ASP.NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317012/en-us

    In addition, have you looked up the IIS log on the machine to see whether
    there is any entries indicate the error?

    Please feel free to let me know if there is any other finding.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.