Associative Array

Joe Rigley

I'm an ASP .Net newbie and need some help. Does ASP .NET support what I
consider a "structure" or an "associative array"?

I'm look for a data type that will hold a key name and a value such as this
pseudo code below:

Dim EmployeeInfoas (Structure or Associative Array?? What data type
here???)

'Add key and value:
Employee.Add(<key>, <value>)
Employee.Add("FullName","John Smith")
Employee.Add("Phone","555-5555")

'And then be referenced in this type of manner:
response.write("Employee Name: " & Employee("FullName") & "<BR>")
response.write("Phone: " & Employee("Phone"))
'Or maybe there's a "Get" method or something... like Employee.Get("Phone")

and the web page would write out:

Employee Name: John Smith
Phone: 555-5555

The point is I'd like to use a string value to identify an index in an
array, not an integer. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Is
this even possible? Please advise.

Thanks,
-Joe

Joe Rigley

Karl,

Thanks very much for the quick response... I'm just working with Strings so
the latter should be great!

Much obliged,
-Joe

Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Associative Array in ASP 3.0 and ASP.NET

you can create associative arrays with the "ASP Associative Array Class" (a VbScript Class); you will be able to use associative arrays as in PHP... you can also save database data (from MySQL, Access...) in an associative array or export well structured data; it's need to include this class in your *.asp files; download the class and tutorial from:

maxvergelli.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/use-asp-associative-arrays/

ps: there is also a porting for VB.NET/ASP.NET