Attaching CSS classes to web controls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by wh, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. wh

    wh Guest

    This is more a question of style really, nothing too technical - honest.

    My question is what is the preferred way of defining the styles of elements
    in an asp.net page?

    Supposing I have several *Web* controls (i.e. <asp:label> elements) that I
    want to apply a formatting style to. The first method would be to select all
    controls in page design view then set the appearance properties in the
    properties window. The other method would be to set the CssClass property of
    each control then create a new css class in a stylesheet and attach this to
    the page.

    Personally, I tend to stick with the second method though I was wondering
    how much we should know about the underlying html that is generated.
    Supposing I have an <asp:label> element. This is rendered as a <SPAN>
    element, so in my stylesheet I have the following rule:

    SPAN.MyLabel
    {
    /* define style here */
    }

    May we always assume that <asp:label> elements get rendered as <span>
    elements. I know an alternative would be to not supply the SPAN element
    declaration in the css rule and just have:

    .MyLabel

    but I prefer to supply as much information as possible to the browser that
    reads the stylesheet.

    Wayne.

    wh, Jun 22, 2004

  2. wh

    clintonG Guest

    I think it should be evident that a label will always be rendered
    as a span element as a label is not a container nor a collection
    of objects.

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com