    with JDK 1.6.0_10.

    The problem is Windows sees it using system RAM and freaks out
    thinking it is a virus.

    Roedy Green, Sep 1, 2008

  2. Since when? Neither of these docs mention it,
    that I can see..
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/AudioClip.html>
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/
    Applet.html#getAudioClip(java.net.URL,%20java.lang.String)>

    But even in that case, I would not be too worried
    about it, given the..
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/sound/sampled/package-
    summary.html>
    ...was introduced in Java 1.3.
    How do applets using the javax.sound API go?

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 1, 2008

  3. Note also that 1.6.0_10 allows applets to
    specify a JNLP file for configuration, ..

    ..., which allows us to specify the memory requirement.
    And that might come in handy if dealing with large,
    high quality..
    ...sound samples and clips.

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 1, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    they live in a jar. See http://mindprod.com/applet/vercheck.jar
    or http://mindprod.com/zips/vercheck31.zip
    that is the version using Audio clip that is getting in trouble.

    From what you said, I don't think the trouble is the files. They have
    been working a long time with AudioClip and just stopped working.
    sampled sound says it does not support the format.

    Perhaps the problem is Vista or the sound card and some lack of
    support. I am going to have to spend some time preparing a whacking
    great set of samples and see what it eats.

    Roedy Green, Sep 1, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    sorry, AudioClip is fine . sun.audio.AudioPlayer is the proprietary
    deprecated sound interface.

    Roedy Green, Sep 2, 2008