autoconf macros and distutils

Hi Python-Pros,

I'm working on a project using an embedded and extended python
interpreter. We use autoconf/automake/libtool and have our own autoconf
macros for detecting a python installation. Everythings works fine under
traditional UNIX, but since we're trying to port to other platforms like
Mac OS or Windows, we are in trouble.

My question is: how can I find out, which compiler and linker options
are necessary to build a custom python interpreter?

On Mac OS X for example, I need to link with "-framework Python", on
traditional Unix (i.e. "non-framework-builds" of python) I have to use
"-L /usr/local/lib/python2.3/config -lpython2.3" instead. I'm shure that
there will be some config variables available through the distutils
package that give the information needed, but I couldn't find
appropriate documentation on this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark (python newbie)

P.S.: Any working autoconf m4 macros for embedding python out there?