Automate filling out web forms ??

Terry King

Done some searching and didn't find this:

I need a way to repetitively fill out a web form
from a list of data entries, probably a text file.

I have 100 new users of a domain, with web email. The
only way right now to add an address book entry is by filling
out a form for each added address. Aghhhh!!

Anyone have suggestions / pointers to code to do this???

Chris Morris

Terry King said:
I have 100 new users of a domain, with web email. The
only way right now to add an address book entry is by filling
out a form for each added address. Aghhhh!!

Anyone have suggestions / pointers to code to do this???

If it's just a single-step form then cURL functions (PHP, standalone
executable, etc) might do it, if you can get the right parameters
passed. You can fake Referer, User-Agent, etc. if you need to.

If it's a get-based form then wget would also work.

A bit of shell-script or other programming to pass the parameters in,
obviously.

Hywel Jenkins

Done some searching and didn't find this:

I need a way to repetitively fill out a web form
from a list of data entries, probably a text file.

I have 100 new users of a domain, with web email. The
only way right now to add an address book entry is by filling
out a form for each added address. Aghhhh!!

Anyone have suggestions / pointers to code to do this???
Surely it depends on your form? You could just dump the addresses in to
a bit of JavaScript that holds them in an array. You'll need to submit
the form and send the array index with it so that the page can decide
which address is next.

Of course, you're trying to fix the problem completely the wrong way.
You should be trying to access the address book database directly ...

Terry King

Of course, you're trying to fix the problem completely the wrong way.
You should be trying to access the address book database directly ...

Totally agree!! If POWWEB would condescend to let me at it....