Aw: Functional style programming in python: what will you talk aboutif you have an hour on this topi

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rainer Grimm, Jul 16, 2011.

  1. Rainer Grimm

    Rainer Grimm Guest

    Hello,I think it's relatively difficult to get a feeling what a are the key
    points behind functional programming. So I think you should start
    explaining the concepts behind functional programming. A few ideas.
    - higher order functions
    - first class functions
    - currying
    - pure functions
    - list processing
    - lambda functions
    - recursion instead of iteration
    - pattern matching
    And that should end with the three guys (map, filter and reduce ) as
    building blocks of functional programming. And that is a good point to
    introduce list comprehension. Because it's only syntactic sugar for map
    filter. But what kind of sugar. It's very impressive. Thats my typical way
    to introduce it in seminars.
    Now it's a good time to explain, what's special in python with
    functional programming. (A lot if you compare it with haskell)
    I wrote an article about your topic. You have only to learn german.
    About the concepts:
    http://www.linux-magazin.de/Online-Artikel/Funktionale-Programmierung-1-Grundzuege?category=0
    What's special about Python:
    http://www.linux-magazin.de/NEWS/Online-Artikel-Funktionale-Programmierung-in-Python?category=0

    Greetings from Rottenburg,
    Rainer

    Rainer Grimm, Jul 16, 2011

  2. Avoiding global state. Including singletons *wink*
    Lazy data processing, including infinite data streams.
    Decorators.
    Iterators.
    Using iterators as a form of pipelining.

    Some of these might not count as strictly functional in the lambda calculus
    sense, but they're closely related and less academic and more practical.

    If it were me, I'd probably take a less pure approach and concentrate on
    concrete examples. As far as Python goes, the use of list comps/generator
    expressions, iterators and decorators are the main functional idioms, not
    so much map, filter and especially reduce, which only avoided being removed
    from Python 3 by the narrowest margin.

    Steven D'Aprano, Jul 16, 2011