Beep

Jeffrey Barish

I use sys.stdout.write('\a') to beep. It works fine on Kubuntu, but not on
two other platforms (one of which is Ubuntu). I presume that the problem
is due to a system configuration issue. Can someone point me in the right
direction? Thanks.

Ivan Illarionov

I use sys.stdout.write('\a') to beep.  It works fine on Kubuntu, but not on
two other platforms (one of which is Ubuntu).  I presume that the problem
is due to a system configuration issue.  Can someone point me in the right
direction?  Thanks.

gnome-terminal (default terminal on Ubuntu) uses X11 bell for its
beep.
Try 'xset b on' to turn the beep on. See 'man xset' for more options.

Ivan