Beginner help: Problem installing sqlite3 on Windows XP

Kasper Frederiksen

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Ruby, and i keep getting stuck in the same place getting
started.

I hope someone is able to help me. I am trying to install sqlite3 and
have been following several tutorials, and it all looke very simple, but
i keep running in to this problem.

I have installed ruby and gem.

C:\>ruby -v

C:\>gem --version
1.2.0

I have placed sqlite3.dll, sqlite3.def, sqlite3.exe in my c:\ruby\bin

I keep getting the following error:

---------
C:\>gem install sqlite3-ruby
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib... no
checking for sqlite3.h... no

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1
2.4 for inspection.
Results logged to
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_
api/gem_make.out

--------

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kind regards,

Kasper

Glen Holcomb

[...]

try the sqlite3-ruby gem

Kasper Frederiksen

Lex said:
You could try installing nmake , and run it again . You can find nmake
here :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132084

I tried to download nmake and placed NMAKE.EXE & NMAKE.ERR in the
c:\ruby\bin directory.

This is the result:

C:\>gem install sqlite3-ruby
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
checking for fdatasync() in rt.lib... no
checking for sqlite3.h... no

nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make 'ruby.h'
Stop.

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1
2.4 for inspection.
Results logged to
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.4/ext/sqlite3_
api/gem_make.out

Glen Holcomb

Sorry i am new to this. What do you mean by this? thanks for your help
gem install sqlite3-ruby rather than sqlite. sqlite3-ruby works great for
me in Windows XP.

Jim Carter

From what I can tell sqlite3-ruby VERSION 1.2.4 does not have an mswin32
gem. To get this to install (with out a lot of C comp) I did this
gem install --version 1.2.3 sqlite3-ruby

version 1.2.3 has a mswin32 gem and installed the correct mswin32
version.

Glen Holcomb

From what I can tell sqlite3-ruby VERSION 1.2.4 does not have an mswin32
gem. To get this to install (with out a lot of C comp) I did this
gem install --version 1.2.3 sqlite3-ruby

version 1.2.3 has a mswin32 gem and installed the correct mswin32
version.
Good to know, I guess I haven't installed it in a while.

Kasper Frederiksen

Jim said:
From what I can tell sqlite3-ruby VERSION 1.2.4 does not have an mswin32
gem. To get this to install (with out a lot of C comp) I did this
gem install --version 1.2.3 sqlite3-ruby

Using version 1.2.3 fixed the problem. Thanks to all of your for trying
to help.

John T.

Jim said:
From what I can tell sqlite3-ruby VERSION 1.2.4 does not have an mswin32
gem. To get this to install (with out a lot of C comp) I did this
gem install --version 1.2.3 sqlite3-ruby

version 1.2.3 has a mswin32 gem and installed the correct mswin32
version.

Anyone know when and/or if 1.2.4 will have a mswin32 gem built? Not
having the current version causes a 'gem update' command to fail when it
gets to trying to update sqlite3-ruby. Is there a way to have gem update
skip a gem, or continue to the next one if needed, instead of failing
completely?

Thanks.