Beginner questions to C++

Brad

Hello. I know the basics of C++, but have a few questions. Is Visual
C++ the same as C++? I'm very confused there. Also, the programs
that I learned in my beginning programming class are all in a black
background that looks like dos. How do I make it a real program?

Thanks a lot,
Brad

Victor Bazarov

Brad said:
Hello. I know the basics of C++, but have a few questions. Is Visual
C++ the same as C++?

Visual C++ is the name of the product. C++ is the name
of the language. So, no, it's not the same.
I'm very confused there. Also, the programs
that I learned in my beginning programming class are all in a black
background that looks like dos. How do I make it a real program?

I am not sure what you call a real program, perhaps you
want to create some kind of GUI (graphical user interface)
for your program. If so, you need to learn to use the
available tools and means provided to you by the operating
system. The best place to ask about them would be the
newsgroup where your OS is discussed. Since you asked
about VC++, I recommend comp.os.ms-windows.programmer or
the VC++ newsgroup: microsoft.public.vc.* (pick one that
you think is the most appropriate).

Victor

osmium

Brad said:
Hello. I know the basics of C++, but have a few questions. Is Visual
C++ the same as C++? I'm very confused there. Also, the programs
that I learned in my beginning programming class are all in a black
background that looks like dos. How do I make it a real program?

C++ is the name of a programming language. Visual C++ is a registered
trademark of Microsoft Corporation for their attempt at a compiler that
follows, more or less, the rules specified for the C++ language. As
Corvette is a trademark for a particular automobile.

To make a program which looks like what most people consider a nice program
you have to learn how to program for, in your case, a Windows GUI. Learning
such a thing is a first class pain. You might post your question in a
Visual C newsgroup, they will be more willing to discuss such stuff. You
can't make a nice looking program with a plain vanilla C++ program, which is
the topic here. You have probably been writing what is sometimes called a
"console" program, which can be extremely functional, but pretty it is not..