    other GUI toolkit that is perhaps smaller and easier to bundle (cross
    platform) with my little app?

    Etienne

    e deleflie, Dec 20, 2007

  2. e deleflie

    Victor Reyes Guest

    A google search as in: "*GUI toolkit" "Ruby"* turned *52,100 hits*.

    Victor Reyes, Dec 20, 2007

  3. e deleflie

    e deleflie Guest

    which is precisely why I ask the question on a list...

    if you are saying that I should take my question elsewhere... please let me
    know of a more appropriate list.

    Etienne

    e deleflie, Dec 20, 2007
  4. e deleflie

    Victor Reyes Guest

    No, No. I'm sorry if I did not explain myself. Please accept my apologies if
    I upset you.
    All questions are valid here. I was only pointing you to a starting point,
    just in case that you had not done so.
    Furthermore, sometimes you can find your answer quicker from past posts than
    waiting for someone to answer.
    GUI Toolkits for Ruby comes up at least once a week.

    Thanks

    Victor

    Victor Reyes, Dec 20, 2007
  5. My recollection is that wxWindows is the closest to "native" look and
    feel of all the GUI toolkits that Ruby supports. As far as other factors
    -- ease of use, compactness, etc. -- I think they're all pretty much the
    same, although for "professional" GUI application development, I think
    Qt is the best-engineered and Gtk+ is a very close second.

    That said, if Tcl/Tk is working for you, I wouldn't spend a lot of
    energy looking at the others. There's a cost in switching, and as far as
    I know there aren't any "translators" from one tool kit to another. They
    all have different application design frameworks, different interfaces,
    and varying levels of documentation and support for the Ruby bindings.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 20, 2007
  6. One of your options is to write a Wrapper ruby package for QT from
    TrollTech.
    It's a commercial package, but is available under GPL for open-source
    projects.

    Tommy Nordgren, Dec 20, 2007
  7. ...or use the already-available Ruby/Qt.

    Best regards,

    Jari Williamsson

    Jari Williamsson, Dec 20, 2007
  8. wxRuby (Ruby bindings for wxWidgets) is the best out there currently for
    cross-platform (obviously native widgets) and stability.

    As far as the ease of bundling it, it's usually just a matter of running
    a gem command.

    Matthew Harris, Dec 21, 2007