simple GUI environment

Eric Johansson

I need a simple GUI toolkits like easygui pythoncard. The main reason I
discount both of those is that they are effectively dead as I can see.
Last updates in the 2010/2011 range. Has there been some toolkit to
replace them? And no, the existing wxpython/gtk/qt/... toolkits really
aren't acceptable. I need to get something done in 12 hours and I don't
have time to climb the learning curve.

The application I'm building is a tool which gathers and saves
configuration data for a specific Windows application. It needs to run
in a Windows batch file for multisystem deployment and also as a GUI
when the user is mucking about. It also needs to run as a portable app
because I can't install this on every machine. many corporate IT types
don't take kindly to utilities leaving little footprints all over the place.

The CLI version works. Simple UI, does what I need for part of the job.
Now I need to add a relatively simple GUI. The user interface will
consist of a series of tabs across the top, one for each subsystem and
the main panel beneath that will contain the UI for the tab related
task. I could fake the tabs by using a horizontal list of radio buttons
which have the same semantics as tabs but a very different look.

I could do this relatively easily with twitter bootstrap but I don't
have a standalone browser that I can embed in Python so I could build
HTML for user interface.

suggestions?

I appreciate whatever help you can give.

Kevin Walzer

The main reason I discount both of those is that they are effectively
dead as I can see. Last updates in the 2010/2011 range.

Why not give EasyGUI a try? The site is still active, and two years
isn't without an update doesn't mean a project is dead, especially if
it's a simple and mature project that doesn't need a lot of maintenance.
If your needs are basic, then I'd say EasyGUI would be a good fit. By
contrast, a library undergoing heavy development with a
constantly-shifting API can cause tons of headaches.

--Kevin

Eric Johansson

you guys are great. I'm going to try pygui first and easygui second. My
reason for this is that pygui looks like it will let me bundle using
py2exe without trying hard.the only thing that would make it better is
if either of these kits used standard Rich text edit controls under
Windows so I can speech enable these applications.

Thanks a bunch. All the advice was really useful and appreciated.

Gregory Ewing

Eric said:
the only thing that would make it better is
if either of these kits used standard Rich text edit controls under
Windows so I can speech enable these applications.

PyGUI's TextEditor is based on the rich edit control in
Windows. It doesn't currently expose all of its capabilities,
but if speech is all you want, it might be sufficient.

Eric Johansson

PyGUI's TextEditor is based on the rich edit control in
Windows. It doesn't currently expose all of its capabilities,
but if speech is all you want, it might be sufficient.

Do you know which one?

http://www.section508.va.gov/docs/Dragon_Naturally_Speaking_Apps.pdf

(copied from the PDF, apologies for the crappy formatting)
Use supported window classes for edit controls. Dragon 10 supports the
following control classes.
(Borland controls, TE Edit, and TX Text are supported only in
Professional, Medical, Legal, and SDK
editions of Dragon.)

Vendor Control Class
Microsoft Edit, Rich Edit, Rich Edit20A, RichEdit20W, Rich Edit50W,
Inktextbox, Inkedit, RichTextBox .NET controls
Borland TMemo, TEdit, TRichEdit
Sub Systems TE Edit versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 (not TE Edit .NET)
Text Control TX Text versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and TX Text .NET

Gregory Ewing

Eric said:
Do you know which one?

Vendor Control Class
Microsoft Edit, Rich Edit, Rich Edit20A, RichEdit20W, Rich Edit50W,
Inktextbox, Inkedit, RichTextBox .NET controls
Borland TMemo, TEdit, TRichEdit
Sub Systems TE Edit versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 (not TE Edit .NET)
Text Control TX Text versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and TX Text .NET

Whichever one MFC's RichEditView uses. I can't tell you
any more than that, sorry.