Best java tools

pmdanger

Hi,
I would like to have programmer's feedback regarding Java development
toold.

Soon, i will have to develop a Java application and i want to do the
right choice before to start.

Which Java development tools is the best from your point of view ?
and why ?

I need to build an intranet/internet java application with database
interactions.

thanks,

PM

online.no

eclipse is my best choice (eclipse.org)
suns netbeans is also an alternative if you develop gui

Scott Ellsworth

Soon, i will have to develop a Java application and i want to do the
right choice before to start.

Which Java development tools is the best from your point of view ?
and why ?

Since I usually work in a cross platform environment, virtually all of
my projects have an ANT build script to build and test with. This is a
free project from Jakarta, and insures that new developers on almost any
platform can, at the least, get my code to build, run the tests, and
perhaps execute basic functionality.

For actual development, I usually use an IDE. I was quite an Eclipse
<www.eclipse.org> fan for some years, but have of late been using
IntelliJ's IDEA <www.intellij.com>. Both are high caliber refactoring
editors, and you are not likely to go wrong with either. Be aware, IDEA
costs money, but it has some nice features.

I have also used XCode, Apple's IDE for MacOS X development. Since it
lacks refactoring support, I have not used it all that much since it
shipped. It was the tool of choice for a project involving JNI.

Scott
(e-mail address removed)
Java, Cocoa, WebObjects and Database consulting

JayDay

pmdanger said:
Hi,
I would like to have programmer's feedback regarding Java development
toold.

I use netbeans and I like it very much. A few years ago I used Visual Age,
it is terrible!

JayDay

Zakerie

If you have some money to spend IntelliJ is the best.
Eclipse is what I use. Their 3.0M7 is quick.

Had bad experience wiht Netbeans' earlier versions and never went back.
Heard their newer version has more features(jsp handling etc) than eclipse +
freely available plugins and that it has become much faster.

Had bad experience with Visual Age too.