Tools/frameworks for Java multi-core programming?

anthonycwmak

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-7rm-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-4g4-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

From: "anthonycwmak" <anthonycwmak@1:261/38.remove-fcj-this>

From: (e-mail address removed)

I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java program that
can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji,
but they all either requires special shell command to compile and run the
programs, or, in Ateji's case use a special file extension which is converted
to java file. This doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core
programs that can be built on Maven or similar, and requires them to run on an
enterprise environment or application server.

Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API directly, to
utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler way to create Java
enterprise applications that utlize multi-core CPUs? Preferably, just annotate
my POJOs to make them multi-core capable?

Kind Regards,
Anthony Mak

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Robert Klemme

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-v8v-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-7rm-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-4g4-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: anthonycwmak
From: Robert Klemme <[email protected]>

I am trying to find tools/frameworks that help with writing Java
program that can utilize multi-core CPU. So far I only found
jconcurr, JOMP, JAMP, Ateji, but they all either requires special
shell command to compile and run the programs, or, in Ateji's case
use a special file extension which is converted to java file. This
doesn't seem to be ideal if I require to build multi-core programs
that can be built on Maven or similar,

Why is that an issue? Typically you can include custom build procedures in a
build tool / framework.
and requires them to run on an
enterprise environment or application server.

If you are on an JEE application server that will usually take care of the
concurrency. You typically need to use those APIs the JEE spec or AS at hand
provides to not interfere with the framework in bad ways (e.g. by breaking
transactions). That does not seem like a bad option although AS come with
their own learning curve.
Besides writing concurrent programs, by using Java Concurrency API
directly, to utilize the multi-core, are there other easier/simpler
way to create Java enterprise applications that utlize multi-core
CPUs? Preferably, just annotate my POJOs to make them multi-core
capable?

"Making a POJO multi-core capable" is meaningless. Using concurrency is more
like an architectural property of your application (even though you need to
take care to use POJOs properly - but it's not enough to make POJOs thread
safe). At this point I am suspecting that someone told you modern Java
programs must use multiple cores and you want to get it done easily.
Unfortunately that won't work: you need to understand the particular issues
associated with concurrency to properly craft such applications - even if you
use a framework that takes away a large part of the work from you.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

[...]

Lew

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-v8v-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-7rm-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-4g4-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-73m-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: "Lew" <lew@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: Robert Klemme
From: Lew <[email protected]>

Java programs can "utilize" multi-core CPUs out of the box. You need do nothing
special.
[...]

As Robert said, if you're writing enterprise apps using Java EE, then the
threading is already done. You should pretty much never explicitly code a Java
EE component to spawn a thread.

Java SE is another matter. You do have to use thread calls to spawn threads.
Once you have at least two threads in a program (and all Java programs do),
then you are multi-core capable.

Java programs that use threads are already multi-core capable.

Boom, done.

What are you really after?

--
Lew