Best Practices, ASP.NET, and Data Binding

Carl G

Hi,

I have a question:

Is any of Microsoft's databinding code / controls of any use in a
real-world MVC application? What is the best way to build an MVC
application? For example, is a FormView a complete waste?

Background:

I am trying to build a Model-View-Controller (MVC) site, but I'm having
problems. It seems most of books and articles on the web are trying to
teach how to use MS development products, but not how to use them
correctly, or using Best Practices. Microsoft is coming out with a new
MVC mechanism for building sites, but I cannot wait for it to be
completed. My deadline is before that.

Typical databound controls just are not appropriate for an n-tier
application. Even the ObjectModelDataSource just is not appropriate.
In fact, I wasted most of today working with the ObjectModelDataSource,
but is just doesn't work for a real MVC application. (at least as I
understand the MVC pattern.)

Any feedback on how best to build an MVC application is appreciated.

carl