binary file

Nader Emami

L.S.,

I have used the profile module to measure some thing as the next command:

profile.run('command', 'file')

But this make a binary file! How can I write the result of 'profile' in
a ascii file? Others how can I read (or convert) the binary file to am
ascii file?

Regards,
Nader

Kent Johnson

Nader said:
L.S.,

I have used the profile module to measure some thing as the next command:

profile.run('command', 'file')

But this make a binary file! How can I write the result of 'profile' in
a ascii file? Others how can I read (or convert) the binary file to am
ascii file?

Use an instance of pstats.Stats to interpret the results:

from pstats import Stats
s = Stats('file')
s.print_stats()

etc.
http://docs.python.org/lib/profile-stats.html

Kent

Kent Johnson

Nader said:
I got the same result as the execution of command. But I would like to
write to the an external 'ascii' file!

Oh, I get it, pstats.Stats doesn't have a way to send the output to a file. That's surprising!

One option would be to write a program that outputs what you want, then redirect the output in the shell. Alternatively take a look a the source for print_stats() and write your own that outputs to a file.

Kent

Scott David Daniels

Kent said:
Oh, I get it, pstats.Stats doesn't have a way to send the output to a
file. That's surprising!
I may be missing something here, but:
import sys, pstats

s = pstats.Stats('file')
sys.stdout, old = open('somefile.txt', 'w'), sys.stdout
s.print_stats()
sys.stdout, old = old, sys.stdout
old.close()
Looks to solve your problem to me.