Binding Typed datasets to grid controls in designer

bill

I have a relatively simple website, n-tier architecture that was
originally created in VS2003. The beauty was that when I want to put a
grid on a page, I could drag a dataset control onto the page, assign it
to one of my typed datasets and bind it to a 3rd-party grid, viola!
there are the columns and blah blah blah things were good.

Now we move to VS 2005 and there is no more Dataset control, there are
these DataObject controls and life is very frustrating. Finding any
sort of documentation/examples of using these DataObject controls
beyond basic useless things like direct access to the DB with hardcoded
connection strings and select/insert/update/delete statements is near
impossible.
I can't seem to connect a typed dataset to the DataObject and then use
the DataObject like a dataset, but you can't convert a DO to a DS.

Am I the only one who is having trouble with this? I don't see other
people complaining. Can someone direct me to some useful information
out there?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You can still bind a dataset to a GridView. It is not the visual default any
more when dragging onto a form.

Personally, I do not like the new datasource objects. They do simplify
things even further than DataSets, but they encapsulate too many layers in
one object for my taste.

As for info on the DataSource objects, look at the samples that ship with
the SDK. You can install them locally or go to sites like www.asp.net or
www.gotdotnet.com and look at them. Scott Guthries blog site is a good
source for info on 2.0 DataSets and TableAdapter objects.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!