Book: Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs

Casey Hawthorne

You may be interested in the following book:

Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)
by Mark Jason Dominus "Until the release of Perl 5.6.0, there was no
good way to generate a binary numeral in Perl..." (more)

Sherm Pendley

Casey Hawthorne said:
You may be interested in the following book:

Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.

*plonk*

sherm--

A. Sinan Unur

... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
even write*?

Well, if you inspect the URL:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558607013/qid=
1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
else's affiliate link in the mean time).

As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

Sinan

PS: I'll join the plonking of the OP.

axel

Well, if you inspect the URL:

Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
else's affiliate link in the mean time).
As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:

http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free

"My contract says that after the book is published I can
distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
free. Watch this space for updates."

Axel

Lewis Perin

A. Sinan Unur said:
Well, if you inspect the URL:

Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
else's affiliate link in the mean time).

As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

Thanks for the careful explanation. I forwarded the original post to
(e-mail address removed) with the following comment:

The Usenet post I'm forwarding here is an attempt to misuse a public
forum for the purpose of benefiting the poster's Amazon account.
Please take action on this, or else you will be a passive participant
in spamming.

/Lew

Casey Hawthorne

Sorry about that!

I didn't realize there was an Amazon account ID in the URL!

Or that it would soon be free on the web!

A. Sinan Unur

Sorry about that!

I didn't realize there was an Amazon account ID in the URL!

Or that it would soon be free on the web!

Given the other examples Tad has found, I doubt anyone is willing to
believe you. I am hoping your ISP takes this seriously as well.

Incidentally, your signature delimiter is incorrect: It should be two
dashes followed by a space followed by a newline.

Oh, before I forget again, *PLONK*.

Sinan

David H. Adler

Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:

http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free

"My contract says that after the book is published I can
distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
free. Watch this space for updates."

That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
this one, maybe he'll write more! :)

dha

axel

That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
this one, maybe he'll write more! :)

I intend to. Acquiring new books is not a problem... now spending time
reading them and, more importantly, finding bookshelf space is!

Axel

Steven Vasilogianis

A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip URL to Amazon.com with affiliate ID]
Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:

http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free

"My contract says that after the book is published I can
distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
free. Watch this space for updates."

I think this portion of an interview with the Mark Jason Dominus (author of
_Higher Order Perl_) is also worth mentioning for those who would still like
to buy it:

TPR: In the past, you have expressed strong feelings about Amazon.com. Where
would you like people to buy your book? Do you have an affiliate link?

MJD: I'm still upset about Amazon's ridiculous "one-click" patent, and I'm
still boycotting them. Software patents like Amazon's threaten the
livelihoods of all programmers, including mine, and I don't want to give my
support to a company that means me ill. They dropped their suit against
Barnes & Noble, but the terms of the settlement were never disclosed, so we
don't know what happened, and Amazon could turn around at any moment and sue
anyone for violating their patent. So the issue is unresolved.

I'd like people to buy my book from anyone but Amazon. My web site has an
affiliate link to either to Barnes and Noble or to Powell's Books, depending
on who isn't out of stock at the moment. I get a small kickback from this,
but I really don't feel strongly about it. I do feel strongly about not
supporting Amazon. There are a lot of places to get books online; it's not
hard to buy books from a company with less abusive business practices than
Amazon.

http://www.theperlreview.com/Interviews/mjd-hop-20050407.html

Anno Siegel

David H. Adler said:
I intend to. Acquiring new books is not a problem... now spending time
reading them and, more importantly, finding bookshelf space is!

Right! Mine is sitting in a stack on the floor, largely unread and
waiting for a vacancy in the shelf. Along with introductions to Haskell,
UML, Design Patterns and other stuff I'm going to read RSN.

Anno

axel

[ re Higher Order Perl ]
Right! Mine is sitting in a stack on the floor, largely unread and
waiting for a vacancy in the shelf. Along with introductions to Haskell,
UML, Design Patterns and other stuff I'm going to read RSN.

Wow! You also have unread books on UML - I bought one years ago and another
when I was in Amsterdam... I have never opened the covers of either.

They are at the bottom of my books to read... first I need to
increase my German so I can read some 'Koelsch Krimis'. Opps, I am
going wildly off-topic.

Axel

axel

[...]

Thank you. I will order it via Barnes and Noble.

I belive in supporting authors.

Axel