border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

Guest

Hello,

I´ve defined a div tag like this:

div#news{
top: 100px;
width: 144px;
border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
left: 602px;
height: 100%;
}

The border ist defined with:

border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

What do I do wrong?

Bye,
Martin

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Martin Pöpping ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
Hello,
Howdy!

[...]
border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

Curious, I copied your code and made a test page with it and neither of them
displayed a border...

I did swap your "border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;" for a possibly
more succint "border: solid 2px #003366;" though, which did result in a
border in IE and Firefox.

Hope that helps,
Nige

Arne

Once said:
Hello,

I´ve defined a div tag like this:

div#news{
top: 100px;
width: 144px;
border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
left: 602px;
height: 100%;
}

The border ist defined with:

border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

What do I do wrong?

Let me guess, you have an error somewhere in the code (html or css).
Since you don't supply an url to the site, I can't tell where the
error is. But you you could start with validating the pages.

Validate HTML with http://validator.w3.org/
And CSS with http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

tonnie

Martin Pöpping schreef:
Hello,

I´ve defined a div tag like this:

div#news{
top: 100px;
width: 144px;
border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
left: 602px;
height: 100%;
}

The border ist defined with:

border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

What do I do wrong?

Perhapse it will if you use:

border: 2px solid #003366;

Rik

Martin said:
Hello,

I´ve defined a div tag like this:

div#news{
top: 100px;
width: 144px;
border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
left: 602px;
height: 100%;
}

The border ist defined with:

border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

What do I do wrong?

No border-stye. either add border-style: solid; (or dashes, dotted, groove
etc..), or use a shorthand:
border: 2px solid #003366;

Grtz,

Mike Massonnet

Le Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:15:06 +0200, Martin Pöpping a écrit :
Hello,

I?ve defined a div tag like this:

div#news{
top: 100px;
width: 144px;
border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
left: 602px;
height: 100%;
}

But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

What do I do wrong?

You are missing the style of the border. E.g. solid, outset, inset,
ridge, groove.
Bye,
Martin

HTH,
Mike

Arne

Once said:
Damn, 5 usable (and duplicate) answers in 3 minutes, must be some kind of
record :)

Guess it's an easy taks to solve. :)
I just wanted to learn the OP to use the validators and find out the
error by him self ;)

Guest

Wowww! Thanks a lot to all for your help!

What a great newsgroup ;)

So maybe you could help me with my second curious IE problem.

I´m defining tags like this:

div#header {

position: fixed;
top: 0px;
left: 188px;
width: 410px;

height: 99px;

background-image: url(../img/blank.jpg);
background-repeat: repeat;
}

div#footer {
bottom: 0px;
left: 188px;
width: 410px;

height: 50px;

background-image: url(../img/blank.jpg);
background-repeat: repeat;
}

div#right{
top: 100px;
left: 750px;
width: 100%;

}

div#menu {

top: 100px;
left: 0px;
width: 183px;
height: 600px;
border-right-width: 4px; border-left-style: none;
}

div#impressum{

left: 0px;
bottom:1px;
}

div#news{
top: 100px;
width: 144px;
border: solid 2px #003366;
left: 602px;
height: 500;
}

table#content{

width: 405px;
border-right-width: 4px; border-left-style: none;
height: 100%;
text-align: justify;
}

With a fixed position to the screen:

@media screen{
body>div#header, div#menu, div#right, div#footer, div#border,
div#impressum, div#news{
position:fixed;
}

All tags i used with:

Firefox displays it side by side as i want it:

======================= header =============

menu || content || news || right ||

======================= footer =============

But IE displays it among each other:

header
------
menu
------
content
------
news
------
right
-----
footer

Bye,
Martin

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_P=F6pping?=

Arne said:
Guess it's an easy taks to solve. :)
I just wanted to learn the OP to use the validators and find out the
error by him self ;)

Thanks. The HTML-Files i always generate with UltraEdit, but because of
I am not very close to the CSS syntax, I let Adobe GoLive CS 2.0
generating the CSS code for me. Seems to me that GL has to learn like me :)

Bye,
Martin

Y J Landro

Wowww! Thanks a lot to all for your help!

What a great newsgroup ;)

So maybe you could help me with my second curious IE problem.

Please make a new thread when changing subject.

<snipping stuff about IE failing to honour position:fixed>

IE won't recognise position:fixed AFAIK. Opera, FF and other modern
browsers do.

There are several hacks available to work around the problem. Google and
you'll find. Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

:) Y J Landro

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Y J Landro ([email protected]) feverishly typed...

[...]
Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

What a great idea!

Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th
customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good quality
album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed... ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a simile.
Obviously, we dealt with every customer equally, regardless of how shit
their taste in music was. We just bitched about them afterwards! ;-) It's
true about the shop being closed though :-(

Y J Landro

While the city slept, Y J Landro ([email protected]) feverishly typed...

[...]
Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

What a great idea!

Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th

<snip>

The discussion was about "position:fixed" and how IE dealt with it. If I
am not too mistaken, IE will treat position:fixed as position:absolute. I
can live with that.

In general, of course one cannot ignore the fact that the majority uses
IE. And if IE renders a page totally messed-up, one has to deal with it.

- Y J Landro

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "nice.guy.nige"
Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

What a great idea!

Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th
customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good quality
album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed... ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

[1] needless to say, I actually made that up.

Never would've guessed...
I was using it as a simile.
Oh.

Obviously, we dealt with every customer equally, regardless of how shit
their taste in music was. We just bitched about them afterwards! ;-) It's
true about the shop being closed though :-(

They probably didn't appreciate the similes.

Nikita the Spider

The discussion was about "position:fixed" and how IE dealt with it. If I
am not too mistaken, IE will treat position:fixed as position:absolute. I
can live with that.

ISTR that IE doesn't just treat position:fixed as position:absolute but
instead mishandles it rather badly. What's working for me is to add this
to my HTML:

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie.css">
<![endif]-->

And then in ie.css I add rules to override position:fixed with this:
position: absolute ! important;

See my sig for a live example.

I think I've read that IE7 supports position:fixed but I have not tested
it myself.

Cheers

Andy Mabbett

In message <[email protected]>,
nice.guy.nige said:
Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out
of every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the
10th customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good
quality album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed... ;-)
[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
simile.

No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

mbstevens

[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
simile.

No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

dorayme

mbstevens said:
[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
simile.

No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.