'Browse' button for *.txt file?

Fred

Hi
I am searching for a module, that would allow me to call files by
using a 'browse' button. Is there any uniform module for browsing
files, or is there a special module for *.txt files?
Thanks
Fred

Peter Hansen

Fred said:
I am searching for a module, that would allow me to call files by
using a 'browse' button. Is there any uniform module for browsing
files, or is there a special module for *.txt files?

I think you'll want to take some time to put your
requirements into different words. Much of what
you say above doesn't really make sense, and we'd
mostly be guessing if we tried to answer.

"call files"? What does that mean? One calls
subroutines, but not files. You can view them,
or execute them, or open them and read data from
them... not call them.

"browse button"? What does that mean? Are you
concerned about the button part of that, or are
you really just asking for a way to "browse"
something? What does "browse" mean to you?
Usually it means something like displaying a file
selection dialog that lets the user navigate
up and down through the directory tree and
select files, and the contents of the files are
displayed when the user selects one. Is that
what you wanted?

Finally, are you trying to do this from within
a Python program? If not, there are certainly
lots of things that will do the job without
Python... the Explorer in Windows, for example.

Which leads to another point: what platform are
you on? This "browse" thing is almost certain
to mean you are trying to write a GUI program,
and for that you need to know what platform(s)
you want it to run on, and you need to pick
one of the available frameworks. Choices include
wxPython, Tkinter, some GTK thing, etc...

-Peter

Fred

Sorry if my choice of words is not very clear to you, but as english
is not my first language, I put it this way because of a lack of
better words.
I will try it differently:
What I meant is that I am searching for a module, that would allow me
to select a file by not using a typed path, but by choosing it like a
file in the normal windows exploer, where all the folders and
subfolders are listed. (I still don't know the word for this
method...)
And I meant open and read data from files, again 'lack of better words'.
I am using Windows XP, Python 2.3.5 with win32all extension.
Sorry for the trouble this caused!

Mike Wimpe

Are you trying to do this within a GUI?

If so, wxPython, PyGTK, and PyQT all have ways to do this. You can also
use EasyDialogs for this as well.

If not, flush...

Steve Holden

Fred said:
Sorry if my choice of words is not very clear to you, but as english
is not my first language, I put it this way because of a lack of
better words.
I will try it differently:
What I meant is that I am searching for a module, that would allow me
to select a file by not using a typed path, but by choosing it like a
file in the normal windows exploer, where all the folders and
subfolders are listed. (I still don't know the word for this
method...)
And I meant open and read data from files, again 'lack of better words'.
I am using Windows XP, Python 2.3.5 with win32all extension.
Sorry for the trouble this caused!

Don't worry about that, comp.lang.python is very forgiving.

You might get some ideas from these URLs:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/excerpts/chpt20/?page=10
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/chapter/ch20.html
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/264

Some of which are extracted from Mark Hammond's and Andy Robinson's
"Python Programming on Win32".

regards
Steve