Buddy can you spare a dime (in minutes)?

Bob

Hi Folks!

I hope you are all doing well.

I have a website that I've created and I'm wondering if I can ask for
some quality Q & A and some feedback on it. The program is for order
taking for restaurants.

I'd like to have some comments on it. But pleez don't tell me it needs
more graphics!!!

Here's the example, feel free to order to your hearts content.
www.OrderingMadeEasy.Com/

If you are feeling really ambitious pleez go to the administrators'
segement, the URL is www.1369.com/Login.htm

The User ID is bambino and the Password is bino (it is case sensitive).

I'd like to hear your comments on performance, ease of use, and any
other topic you choose. Please don't prove your un-professionalism by
making up dumb-ass criticisms. OK? It requires javascript and that is
the way I want it.

If you like the program then tell your local restaurant owners and
cafeteria managers...if you think it sucks then tell me and especially,

tell me why.

Thanks-In-Advance,

Bob Sweeney
671 686 1310

brucie

fix your errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...estern+Europe)&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...w.1369.com/Bambino.htm&warning=1&profile=css2
It requires javascript and that is the way I want it.

no one cares what you want, its what your /visitors/ want that matters. i
don't have JS available so the page is just a useless pile of shit. i bet
you haven't even checked the site in browsers other than IE, wait let me
guess, its only for IE and thats the way you like it. moron.
If you like the program then tell your local restaurant owners and
cafeteria managers...

i would never do them such a disservice.
if you think it sucks then tell me

it sucks
and especially, tell me why.

its extremely amateurish rubbish. i'm sure you're very proud of it but
seriously it is crap. i would dump the lot, start again.

for a start:

· learn html, css and a server side language of your choice.
· semantically markup the pages.
· make JS optional, use as much as you like if you want but if its
unavailable then go server side.
· test in browsers other than IE
· learn the basics of UID+HCI

come back in 12-18 months if you work hard you may be close to having
something worth looking at but i would still doubt it would be of a
satisfactory commercial standard. theres a hell of a lot you need to learn,
not just how to throw a few pages together.

you may need to read these:

How to post from Google:

How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Bob quothed:
[...]

Kinda simple opening page, don't you think? The aesthetics aren't. I'd
suggest analyzing some better pro pages to get a feel for it.

hywel.jenkins

Bob said:
Here's the example, feel free to order to your hearts content.
www.OrderingMadeEasy.Com/

If you like the program then tell your local restaurant owners and
cafeteria managers...if you think it sucks then tell me and especially,

There's nothing about that that would persuade me to use it. It looks
like it's been written by a nine year old, and lacks any sort of design
whatsoever. The menu screen is, too long, it's cluttered and simply
looks like a direct copy of what must be a poorly laid out menu.
There's no excuse for that sort of stuff these days. You're dealing in
ecommerce, to a degree, with this.

It sucks. It's truly dreadful. I cannot imagine how that "system"
(and I use the word loosely) could benefit a cafeteria or restaurant at
all. It's so much easier to browse a restaurant's site, and then order
while booking the table.

Travis Newbury

There's nothing about that that would persuade me to use it....
It sucks. It's truly dreadful. I cannot imagine how that "system"
(and I use the word loosely) could benefit a cafeteria or restaurant at
all. It's so much easier to browse a restaurant's site, and then order
while booking the table.

How do you REALLY feel?

Andy Dingley

I have a website that I've created and I'm wondering if I can ask for
some quality Q & A and some feedback on it.

Probably the worst website we've seen up for critique in months. You
also multi-posted this to every newsgroup _except_ the right one.

It's ugly. It offers no enticement whatsoever to the user to actualy
bother to use it. Whatever it offers isn't clear, and it buries any
useful content in big text blocks of guff.

Implementation is low-end too.

JDS

Hi Folks!

Hi to you too.
I hope you are all doing well.

Actually I am doing quite poorly but it is a long story.
I have a website that I've created and I'm wondering if I can ask for
some quality Q & A and some feedback on it. The program is for order
taking for restaurants.

I'd like to have some comments on it. But pleez don't tell me it needs
more graphics!!!

It needs more graphics.

No, but seriously, it sucks. I have to agree with the other respondees.
And I haven't even looked at the HTML/CSS validity or coding.

Think of it from the point of view of a user. How does one order
something from a restaurant, either in person or on the phone? One looks
in a menu and then says in plain speak what the order is. It is not
complicated -- even if the menu is very long.

IMO, a restaurant order system should be very very very easy to use. I
actually have seen some good examples at "restaurants" that have a
website-like menu kiosk system.

Examples (I am in Maryland, you may not have these stores in Florida) can
be found at Sheetz and at Royal Farms.

The kiosk has a touch screen.

There is a simple entry screen that lists the half dozen or so different
high-level categories -- sandwich, fried chicken, hamburgers, etc.. Click
on one (touch with your finger, actually) and it goes to a sub menu

Sub menus have things like toppings, extras (fries, drinks), , etc. All
separated onto simple, uncluttered pages. i.e. condiments is not on the
same page as drink choices.

There are lots of big, friendly, obvious *pictures* of what is being
ordered at every stage of the ordering process.

There is a tally sheet on the right that lists everything that has been
ordered and your running total.

Do yourself a favor and go find a system like this, either in person or on
the web, that has been done already. Mimic it (i.e. copy it verbatim).
Plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery. Don't reinvent the wheel.
Necessity is the mother of inventing menu taking systems. Don't look a
gift horse in its flat pancakes. You've made your fence, now you have to
sleep on it. etc.

Just my opinion. later...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bob said:
I have a website that I've created and I'm wondering if I can ask for
some quality Q & A and some feedback on it. The program is for order
taking for restaurants.

It doesn't look any different than the last time I saw it .. what? ..
six months ago? What have you been doing? It's still terrible.

Guillaume

Bob:
I have a website that I've created and I'm wondering if I can ask for
some quality Q & A and some feedback on it. The program is for order
taking for restaurants.
I'd like to have some comments on it. But pleez don't tell me it needs
more graphics!!!

The first impression is: it is ugly!
Really. Even if you don't want graphics, you should make it looks
better. Why do you use fixed font? Why don't you use borders or colors
to separate the elements?

In terms of functionalities, it seems OK but the ergonomy is so-so. Each
time I ordered an item, it asked me to click on the general
corresponding item. This second click is not needed.

No problem with the speed. It was fast.

In summary, just remove the click for the general item (aka Salad) and
improve the aethetics.

Regards, Guillaume

WilliamWMeyer

Bob, If you can take all this abuse and (even) come back for more
apparently, you've got a thick skin and at least that will work in your
favor.

Having no technical expertise myself, I'll let the techies abuse you on that
front.

You may understand your site from the inside, out, but it would help you to
try to understand it from the outside, in.

If I'm a restaurant owner, what am I going to have to do? Will I have to put
my menu into elect. form and put it into your template somehow? You imply
that's simple (5 minutes) but it may not be, so don't try to sell me on ease
of use. Things like emphasizing the ease of use and copyright ownership are
putting the cart before the horse. Put that on hold for now and get back to
the basics.

If I do put my menu into your template, will the ordering system thenceforth
be controlled by me, or somehow still by you?

Will my customers go online, make their orders, then what? What if they
order after hours? What if they live too far away?

Your tutorial seems like it should be for the restaurant owner to take, but
as such it seems like you're trying to show the restaurant owner what the
customer's experience will be. Keep those three points of view clear
(your's, owner's, customer's) in your own mind, and keep them in mind for
your site's readers.

Good luck,
WilliamW

Bob

I don't want to book a table, you fucking idiot....I want to order for
take out or maybe delivery....why do you asume I'm booking a table...

It's you brain that is "truly dreadful"...not my simple order taking
system for restaurants...you didn't even look at the whole thing....the
negativity just spews out.....

you have a really vicious case of diarrhea of the mouth.......**** you

Travis Newbury
Nov 10, 9:36 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.html
From: "Travis Newbury" <[email protected]> - Find messages by
this author
Date: 10 Nov 2005 03:36:15 -0800
Subject: Re: Buddy can you spare a dime (in minutes)?
original | Report Abuse

There's nothing about that that would persuade me to use it....
It sucks. It's truly dreadful. I cannot imagine how that "system"
(and I use the word loosely) could benefit a cafeteria or restaurant at
all. It's so much easier to browse a restaurant's site, and then order
while booking the table.

How do you REALLY feel?

Bob

William, thanks for the good wishes.....there are a lot of peopole out
there with a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth.

I have gotten a few comments I can use from my posting.....

Some times I show my program to other programmers and they will often
say, "you don't have to listen to me but...." and then they go on with
their assinine comments.....what I don't say to them is "I'm showing
you my program and soliciting your comments even though I know only one
comment in 100 will be something I can use".

I have showed my program to hundreds of people all over the world and I
have gotten many positive comments and some very excellent comments as
well.

If you are going to be a programmer just remember, most can only talk
about programming, few can actually write a program. I have a lot of
programs, (www.BobSweeney.Net) ......You won't be surprised to hear
that I have great things to say about every web site I see, even though
many have programming conventions I don't necessarily agree with.

Good luck to you too.....best regards,

Bob Sweeney

WilliamWMeyer
Nov 11, 8:15 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.html
From: "WilliamWMeyer" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:15:39 -0500
original | Report Abuse

[...]

news:[email protected]...

hywel.jenkins

Bob said:
I don't want to book a table, you fucking idiot....I want to order for
take out or maybe delivery....why do you asume I'm booking a table...

It's you brain that is "truly dreadful"...not my simple order taking
system for restaurants...you didn't even look at the whole thing....the
negativity just spews out.....

you have a really vicious case of diarrhea of the mouth.......**** you

You're an idiot. You asked for criticism, and you got it - plain,
simple, and honest. It's not a simple order taking system - it's
rubbish. There's a reason that take out menus haven't changed in 50
years: they're simple to use, and ordering with them is fast.

You asked for comments on performance, ease of use, and any other
topic. We covered all of those. The system, at the end of the day, is
shit. I use the word "system" very loosely here, though.

Bob

Hey jerkoff....I asked for some quality Q & A......not assinine
criticism from someone who didn't even look at the program.....that's
QUALITY Q & A......that means you make a reasonable attempt to do
things that the program is attempting to do.....

you made no attempt to use the program., i.e., order a dang piza or
salad or sandwich....

go order a fucking pizza.......then tell me what's wrong with the
program......

and let me know what programs you have written........fucking NONE, I'm
sure

get off your fucking theory and start having some fun writing programs
that are usefull to people..

like my order taking system.

you fucking babysitter,

[...]

Neredbojias.......I plead guilty in the first degree.......absolutely
positively blatantly obviously SIMPLE.

Bob

p.s., thanks for the comment

Kinda simple opening page, don't you think? The aesthetics aren't.
I'd
suggest analyzing some better pro pages to get a feel for it.

Dylan Parry

"If I'd know it was going to be this difficult in /alt.html/, I'd have
joined the circus instead", thought Bob:
go order a fucking pizza

If your hands are as dirty as your language, then I wouldn't even
consider eating your food.

hywel.jenkins

Bob said:
Hey jerkoff....I asked for some quality Q & A......not assinine
criticism from someone who didn't even look at the program.

Of course I looked at it you dope. How else would I know that it's
rubbish?
you made no attempt to use the program., i.e., order a dang piza or
salad or sandwich....

Yes, I did. That's what convinced me that it's rubbish. The main
thing it's lacking is an interface. If I want to order a pizza I dial
6 numbers in to my 'phone, they confirm my address using Caller ID, I
tell them what I want, they deliver. The whole ordering process takes
about 30 seconds. When I order a sandwich I ring ahead, tell them what
I want, then I go to get it. The order process there takes about 30
seconds. Your "software" can't beat that.

and let me know what programs you have written........fucking NONE, I'm
sure

Where to begin... I started programming 23 years ago, when I was 12,
and made money from a program I wrote when I was 15. My BSc
dissertation was entitled "The Use of Genetic Algorithms in Optical
Character Recognition". It was written in Borland C and could read
handwriting with 60% accuracy. Not too shabby considering I had less
than a year to clue up on what GAs are, how OCR works, and how to
implement it.

After university (1996) I wrote data transformation utilities that took
data from ICL mainframes and put it in to a variety of local government
service databases. After that (1998) I started developing web-based
applications for the publishing and aviation industries. One project
included running a web site from CD with full search and shopping
basket facilities using a pseudo-embedded web server.

If you want to see some of my work, it's at
http://kibo.org.uk/downloads.php - suck it and see, big boy. You're
still in Little League.

Bob

I'm not serving food Dylan. Why don't you see what the issues are
before commenting. Take this advice from Confucious "better to remain
silent and be thought a fool than to open you mouth and remove all
doubt.

Now go order a goddam pizza @ www.OrderingMadeEasy.Com and give me some
quality feedback on how simple-difficult it is.

Bob

--
Dylan Parry

Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

Bob

Hey Hywel...you do have a website..................with a fucking pussy
on it....just like you

I knew it.................you are totally useless

now go look at all the brilliantly usefull programs on my web
server....www.BobSweeney.Net

meow meow...you fucking useless peice of shit..

(e-mail address removed)
Nov 14, 10:28 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.html
From: (e-mail address removed) - Find messages by this author
Date: 14 Nov 2005 04:28:55 -0800
original | Report Abuse

[...]

I have seen the issues. The issue is that you are mouthing off and being
generally rude to people who comment that your form is difficult to use.
Take this advice from Confucious "better to remain silent and be
thought a fool than to open you mouth and remove all doubt.

Here's another for you: "People ask for criticism, but they only want
praise" - W. Somerset Maugham.
Now go order a goddam pizza @ www.OrderingMadeEasy.Com and give me some
quality feedback on how simple-difficult it is.

I *have* looked at your form. It's a mess, quite frankly. I wouldn't
know where to start with it.