Building perl on mandrake linux

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sisyphus, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Sisyphus

    Sisyphus Guest

    Hi,

    This is my first attempt to build perl on linux.
    I ran (as per the 'INSTALL' file instructions):

    rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
    sh Configure -de
    make
    make test
    make install

    Actually, I didn't get to run the second step ('sh Configure -de'). It
    started automatically when the first step had completed. 'perl -V'
    output indicates that Configure was run *with* those args. I see that
    the perl that came with the OS was built with '-des' args.

    Everything seemed to proceed fine but there are 3 things that puzzle me.
    Firstly the perl executable weighs in at around 1 megabyte - which
    strikes me as being rather inflated (especially given that the perl
    executable that came with the OS is around 10 kb).

    Secondly, I can't find a perl shared library anywhere ('.so'), though I
    expected there to be one alongside the perl executable in the
    /usr/local/bin folder. 'perl -V' tells me that 'libperl=libperl.a',
    which suggests to me that I've managed to build a static perl. Is that
    what I want ? (I was expecting a dynamic perl - which is what I've
    always had on Win32.)

    Thirdly, 'perl -V:cc' outputs 'cc', though I expected 'gcc'. Is there
    any reason that I should be using 'gcc' instead of 'cc' - and if so, how
    do I specify which compiler to use ?

    I notice that threads, ithreads and multiplicity are all undef, which is
    another point of difference between the perl I built and the perl that
    came with the OS. I've never made use of threading, so I guess it
    doesn't matter for the present, but it might be handy to know how to
    configure them in for the future.

    Anyway .... advice, any pointers to relevant documentation, etc,
    gratefully accepted.

    I would provide a copy of my 'perl -V' if I could work out how to copy
    from either the console or a text file to this (Mozilla) newsreader -
    but I haven't yet managed to do that - which is bloody frustrating - but
    I'm not about to transcribe it, and attachments are, I believe, frowned
    upon.

    Oh, yeah, in case it's relevant I should also mention that I built my
    perl from the ActiveState source distribution (build 806).

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Sisyphus

    Sisyphus Guest

    I read 'INSTALL' and 'README', and even had a look in the 'hints'
    folder, but I can't find any Readme.xxx for linux. I'll start opening
    them one by one until I find the appropriate one. (I was expecting it to
    be named 'Readme.linux', but I have no such file.)

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Sisyphus

    Sisyphus Guest

    It's ok - I've just found the answer to one of my questions in
    'INSTALL'. I suspect all questions will be answered there. Should have
    read it properly .... apologies for not having done that prior to posting.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Sep 12, 2003