Building Web farm with ASP.NET 2.0

George Jordanov Ivanov

Folks,

I am currently researching the possibilities to build up a Web farm based on
ASP.NET 2.0. However, I can't find good guides and HOWTOs regarding this. I
guess that there should be some load balancing infrastructure in front of
the Web server instances (running my Web application). Also, I should
consider SQL server replication as well. Do you have some good resources
showing how to build up a Web farm, how to physically allocate the nodes and
the overall system architecture?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
George Jordanov Ivanov

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi George ,

Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

As for hosting ASP.NET application in webfarm scenario, there is no
particular setting for ASP.NET runtime, the most thing we should take care
in webfarm(loading balance) cases should be the statemanagement, viewstate
or any other encryption setting. Here is one kb article mentioned some of
this:

#HOW TO: Set Up Multi-Server ASP.NET Web Applications and Web Services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815162/en-us

BTW, for ASP.NET 2.0, for statemanagement like sessionstate, there provide
more flexible approachs like custom session state module which can let us
build our own session state module to suit our particular scenario:

#Implementing a Session-State Store Provider
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178587(vs.80).aspx

In addition, you can also search some other resource on ASP.NET state
management in msdn or other public web forum to get some furhter resource.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

George Jordanov Ivanov

Hi Steven,

I found very good article (the one I was exactly looking for). It is not
surprisingly found in Enterprise Solution Patters guide here:
[Load-Balanced Cluster]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/dnpatterns/html/DesLoadBalancedCluster.asp

Another article which shows "hands-on" experience of a real-case Web farm
scenario can be found here:
[Web Farming with the Network Load Balancing Service in Windows Server 2003]
http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/loadbalancing/NetworkLoadBalancingWindows2003.asp

I am sure that these two will really give a very good quick start for anyone
who is interested in building up a web farm. However, the things that you
pointed out are very vital - having a Web farm, we should be very sensible
on using session state.

Regards,
George Jordanov Ivanov

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

That¡¯s cool George,

Also thanks for your resource sharing to us.

If there¡¯s anything else we can help, please feel free to post here.