Button Click event not getting called

SAL

Hello,
I'm working, basically my first, AJAX page and am having a few problems.
One is that the Click event for a button I have in UpdatePanel1 is not
getting called. I've tried with the button both inside and outside of the
updatepanel and the event doesn't get called either way. What might I be
missing here?

Incidently, something else, kind of weird, is happening when the button is
clicked, a required field validator control in a detailsview that I have on
the page displays it's text, which in this case is just an astrix.

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server" UpdateMode="Always">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:GridView ID="gvStormDetail"
runat="server"
AutoGenerateColumns="False"
DataSourceID="dsStormDetail"
EnableViewState="False"
SkinID="gridviewSkin"
Width="672px"
DataKeyNames="StormValueID">
<Columns>
<asp:CommandField ShowDeleteButton="True" />
<asp:TemplateField>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:HyperLink ID="hlMap" runat="server"
Target="_map">Map</asp:HyperLink>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="StormValueID"
HeaderText="StormValueID" InsertVisible="False"
ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="StormValueID"
Visible="False" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="StormAssetType"
HeaderText="Asset Category" SortExpression="StormAssetType" >
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:BoundField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="StormAssetTypeID"
HeaderText="StormAssetTypeID" SortExpression="StormAssetTypeID"
Visible="False" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="StormAssetName"
HeaderText="Storm Asset Name" SortExpression="StormAssetName" >
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:BoundField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="StmFacilityClkID"
HeaderText="StmFacilityClkID" SortExpression="StmFacilityClkID" >
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:BoundField>
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Description"
SortExpression="Description">
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox2" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("Description") %>'></asp:TextBox>
</EditItemTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="lblDescription" runat="server"
EnableViewState="False" Height="24px"
Text='<%# Bind("Description") %>'
Width="232px"></asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:TemplateField>
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Estimated Value"
SortExpression="EstValue">
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("EstValue") %>'></asp:TextBox>
</EditItemTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="lblEstValue" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("EstValue", "{0:C0}") %>'></asp:Label>
<asp:TextBox ID="txtEstValue" runat="server"
EnableViewState="False" Text='<%# Bind("EstValue", "{0:C0}") %>'
Visible="False" Width="96px"></asp:TextBox>
</ItemTemplate>
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Right" />
</asp:TemplateField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="CntyAssetID"
HeaderText="CntyAssetID" SortExpression="CntyAssetID"
Visible="False" />
<asp:TemplateField></asp:TemplateField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="ModUser" HeaderText="ModUser"
SortExpression="ModUser">
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:BoundField>
<asp:BoundField DataField="ModDate"
DataFormatString="{0:MM/dd/yyyy}" HeaderText="ModDate"
HtmlEncode="False" SortExpression="ModDate">
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" />
</asp:BoundField>
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>
<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="dsStormDetail" runat="server"
SelectMethod="GetStormAssetsByCntyAssetdId"
TypeName="StormAssetsMainBLL"
EnableViewState="False"
DeleteMethod="Delete">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:SessionParameter Name="id"
SessionField="cntyAssetId" Type="Int32" />
</SelectParameters>
<DeleteParameters>
<asp:parameter Name="stormValueId" Type="Int32" />
</DeleteParameters>
</asp:ObjectDataSource>
<asp:Button ID="btnUpdate" runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
Text="Update All" OnClick="btnUpdate_Click"/>
</ContentTemplate>
<Triggers>
<asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="dvStormInsert"
EventName="ItemInserting" />
</Triggers>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

bruce barker

an update panel will not postback if validation has an error.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

SAL

That detailsView is in another updatepanel though Bruce. I have two
updatepanels on the page. Updatepanel1 has a Gridview and a button called
btnUpdate.
Updatepanel2 has a detailsview in it. That's where the requiredfield
validator is. Why in the world would it ...
Oh, is it because I have the UpdateMode in Updatepanel1 set to always? If
it's not set to always, it doesn't update when a new record is added via the
detailsview in Updatepanel2...
That can't be it because I've put the btnUpdate both inside and outside of
UpdatePanel1...

Is this making any sense???

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

The validation will still stop the postback even the Validation control and
the Button control are put in different UpdatePanels.

To see if it's caused by the client side validation you can try to set
CausesValidation="false" to test:

<asp:Button ID="btnUpdate" runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
Text="Update All" OnClick="btnUpdate_Click"
CausesValidation="false"/>

Can the Click event handler get called in this way?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).