Buttons do not work on 2.0

Robert Scheer

Hi.

I have an asp.net 2.0 site used by almost 200 users. Around seven of
my customers say that none of my command buttons work. All my
customers use IE 6.0+ and the pages have validation controls on them.
There are no error messages displayed.

The web server has .Net framework versions 1.1 and 2.0 installed. Can
anyone help me to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Robert Scheer

Robert Scheer

Sounds like they've turned JavaScript off...

Hi Mark.

I think that it's not the case because the pages have some other
client scripts that run ok. The problem occurs only when they click a
command button.

I read a MS article about a bug on the 1.1 SP1 version, that causes
these issues, but I am using asp.net 2.0.

Thanks,
Robert Scheer

Mark Rae

I think that it's not the case because the pages have some other
client scripts that run ok. The problem occurs only when they click a
command button.

OK, so what's different about these seven users...? OS, browser, user rights
etc...?

If they're running IE, ask them to change their browser settings temporarily
to uncheck the two "Disable script debugging..." options and check the
"Display a notification about every script error" option. Other browsers
have similar features for achieving the same thing...

Once they've closed and re-opened their browser, ask them to access your
site again and try clicking the buttons to see if they get an error now...
I read a MS article about a bug on the 1.1 SP1 version, that causes
these issues, but I am using asp.net 2.0.

And which article was that - you're not giving us much information here...

Robert Scheer

OK, so what's different about these seven users...? OS, browser, user rights
etc...?

If they're running IE, ask them to change their browser settings temporarily
to uncheck the two "Disable script debugging..." options and check the
"Display a notification about every script error" option. Other browsers
have similar features for achieving the same thing...

Once they've closed and re-opened their browser, ask them to access your
site again and try clicking the buttons to see if they get an error now...

And which article was that - you're not giving us much information here...

Hi Mark.

The article I read is here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889877

I visited one of these users and tried to change the settings on IE.
When a button is clicked, it seems that a postback is raised but the
button does not execute its job. Exactly what is described on the
article I read.

I will revisit the IE settings.

Thanks,
Robert Scheer

Mark Rae

Wow! I've never seen that before.

It's no wonder Microsoft's testing procedures get such a bad press when bugs
like this get through...

It's almost beyond comprehension - a service pack for the .NET Framework has
the potential to kill ASP.NET stone dead by disabling form submission /
postbacks, and doesn't even give any warning messages...

Respect!