"Buy Now" buttons

Curtis Justus

Hi,

I have been looking at a few different merchant solutions. I was curious
what people have used as an option for a "Buy Now" type of solution. I
would like to keep people at my site and also would like to offer electronic
items (i.e. music, PDF documents, etc.). Would I need to use something like
Authorize.NET? Are there only certain banks that would allow that?

Thanks in advance,
cj

Bruno Alexandre

there is a lot of things you can use, for .NET the best is
Authorize .NET component but if you want to avoid components use the
PayPal solution, it's really easy to implement and you will be able to
offer your client not only PayPal payments as well the major Credit
Cards types.

check PayPal website and then follow merchants link.

Alan Silver

Bruno said:
there is a lot of things you can use, for .NET the best is
Authorize .NET component but if you want to avoid components use the
PayPal solution, it's really easy to implement and you will be able to
offer your client not only PayPal payments as well the major Credit
Cards types.

check PayPal website and then follow merchants link.

Google Checkout is cheaper than PayPal, and you have the benefit of
being promoted by Google as well. It's also free until the end of the
year as an incentive to get people on board.

I have built a site that uses it, but rolled out yet. It wasn't too
hard, and looks a lot more secure and usable than PayPal (IMO).

HTH

Guest

Hello,

I have implemented the PayPal "Buy Now "solution. They offer some
substantial assistance on their developers website / newsgroup.

http://www.pdncommunity.com/

They specifically address the problem of returning to your website.
I use it for Buy Now of on-line purchases of downloaded products.

I use the ASP Classic solution. Also, I use the "Payments
Standard" set of services. They also have a "Pro" version.
By the way, they refer to the Buy Now button technique as
EWP (encrypted web payments), and it is a part of the
Standard technique. They offer free code for ASP Classic,
and ASP.Net -- both 1.1 and 2.0.

I am comfortable and confident in the security and reliability of
my solution based on their free code.

Some good links from the PayPal developer website are these...

General Info for Developers...

http://www.pdncommunity.com/pdn/board/message?board.id=basicpayments&message.id=368

http://www.pdncommunity.com/pdn/board/message?board.id=wppro&message.id=192

Specific Implementation details for .NET 2.0...

http://www.pdncommunity.com/pdn/board/message?board.id=ewp&thread.id=4

And for .NET 1.1 using capicom.dll...

http://www.pdncommunity.com/pdn/board/message?board.id=ewp&thread.id=17

I hope this helps you.

Good Luck,

Jim Rodgers

=================

Curtis Justus

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great feedback.

Currently, we are implementing PayPal with the standard payment option. The
business logic (or workflow) goes something like this:

1. User clicks "buy now" button.
2. User is redirected to PayPal site.
3. User pays using either PayPal account, or credit card.
4. User is redirected to site (or has to click on a button when using a
credit card).
5. The redirected page verifies the payment.
6. The page then assigns a download key (ID) that the user uses to download
the product.
7. The user clicks on a link to download the product.

My client would like to see something with the following conditions:

1. The user does not leave the site.
2. The payment process exists in pages that look like the original site.

I have read that Website Payments Pro would allow for this to happen. If
they use a credit card, they would not leave the site. If they use Pay Pal,
they would be redirected to a series of pages on paypal's site that look the
same as ours (customizable). Would anybody have any experience with that?

I will look at Google Checkout as an option, too.

Thanks!
cj

Guest

Hey there Curtis,

Regarding the appearance of not leaving your clients website
to pay, I think there may be a standard payments option to send
a URL in the payment data to PayPal. This URL is a graphic that
PayPal uses to customize their website to make it look like there
is a more intimate relationship between the two companies.

This makes the PayPal process look more professional, like an
important corporate relationship — while also making the idea
of a customer's giving-up sensitive credit data seem less risky.
With the Pmts Pro plan, your client will actually be handling the
customers sensitive credit data. Either way, I believe your
client's website should make some sort of statement about
payment security. We went with the standard Buy Now button
partly because we wanted to assure our customers they did
not have to rely on us (who they never heard of) to have the
technical wherewithal not to be hacked or spoofed.

You might consider selling your client on the approach where
first you build the standard payments Buy Now thing with
their corporate graphic on the PayPal site. Then, you can
put the additional time into the more complex and risky
payment technique that makes them look like a Fortune 500
company — or whatever. This is good for your billing, too.

Good luck!

Jim Rodgers