byte[]s, images and bitmaps with ASP.NET

Guest

I am working on a solution to store jpeg images in our sql server. I am able
to retrieve the byte array from the database, I can make it into a bitmap but
I cannot figure out how to put the bitmap within a control for rendering on a
webpage. The image control requres a url to render an image, I do not want to
have to create the file on the client's machine.

Is there a control that would work better than image so that I could render
the jpeg to the web page, without using Response.OutputStream.Write(which
clears the rest of the page)??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest

Why don't you create a Custom Web Control to do that. That way you won't care
about clearing the output (for that control) and the code is reusable for
future implementations.

Regards,
-Visar

Eliyahu Goldin

You need to make a separate page called, say, GetImage.aspx. The page will
accept a query parameter with meaning "image id". In the places where you
need to specify an image url put something like
ImageUrl="GetImage.aspx?id=xxx"

In GetImage.aspx retrieve the image by id and stream it down in
Response.OutputStream. It will land in exact place in the control that
ordered it in its ImageUrl property.

Eliyahu

Phillip Ian

I just happened to have one of these laying around...if you're in VB,
you're in luck. :)

Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Public Class getimage
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

InitializeComponent()

End Sub

'NOTE: The following placeholder declaration is required by the Web
Form Designer.
'Do not delete or move it.

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
InitializeComponent()
End Sub

#End Region

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Response.Clear()
Response.ContentType = "image/jpeg"

Dim imageid As Integer
Dim wantsthumb As Boolean
Try
imageid = Request.Params("id")
wantsthumb = Request.Params("thumb") = "yes"
Catch
Response.BinaryWrite(Nothing)
End Try

Dim imagedata() As Byte = GetProductImage(imageid, wantsthumb)
If imagedata Is Nothing Then
Response.Redirect("images/noimage.jpg")
Return
Else
Response.BinaryWrite(imagedata)
End If

Response.End()
End Sub

Private Function GetProductImage(ByVal AProduct As Integer, Optional
ByVal GetThumbnail As Boolean = False) As Byte()
Dim cn As New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("", cn)

If GetThumbnail Then
cmd.CommandText = "select Thumbnail as data from tblImages where
ProdID=" & AProduct
Else
cmd.CommandText = "select FullImage as data from tblImages where
ProdID=" & AProduct
End If

cn.Open()
Dim rdr As SqlDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader

If Not rdr.HasRows Then
rdr.Close()
cn.Close()
Return Nothing
End If

rdr.Read()
Dim imagedata() As Byte = rdr("data")
rdr.Close()
cn.Close()

Return imagedata
End Function

End Class

Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I had the same problem and this helped me out. Though I took a different approuch with the EnterpriseLibrary. Your a life saver. Thank you.