C++ and Games

AB

Dear All,

I've passed out of college and joined a PC games co (read DirectX). Can
anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game developer?

Vaclav Haisman

AB said:
Dear All,

I've passed out of college and joined a PC games co (read DirectX). Can
anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game developer?
I have not heard about a single major game that has been done in
anything else than C++.

Ian Collins

AB said:
Dear All,

I've passed out of college and joined a PC games co (read DirectX). Can
anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game developer?
That probably depends on how good the developer is. Now what was the
C++ question again?

Rolf Magnus

Vaclav said:
I have not heard about a single major game that has been done in
anything else than C++.

Well, many have been written in C (remember Quake?), but I think, nowadays,
C++ dominates the game programming world.

mlimber

Rolf said:
Well, many have been written in C (remember Quake?), but I think, nowadays,
C++ dominates the game programming world.
From what my friend at EA tells me, while they use C++ for Madden, NCAA
football, etc., they shun the STL, Boost-ish extensions, and the like
and make use of a lot of global singletons. They use their custom
versions of memset and of malloc instead of new (overloaded or
otherwise), and I presume they likewise eschew exceptions. It sounds
more like C-style code written with some C++ syntax rather than "pure"
C++/OO programs. (Of course, C++ intends to support multiple
programming paradigms, and EA has a lot of legacy code that came from
C-only programs.)

Cheers! --M

Gernot Frisch

From what my friend at EA tells me, while they use C++ for Madden,
football, etc., they shun the STL, Boost-ish extensions, and the
like
and make use of a lot of global singletons. They use their custom
versions of memset and of malloc instead of new (overloaded or
otherwise), and I presume they likewise eschew exceptions. It sounds
more like C-style code written with some C++ syntax rather than
"pure"
C++/OO programs. (Of course, C++ intends to support multiple
programming paradigms, and EA has a lot of legacy code that came
from
C-only programs.)

That explains everything about EA sports games...

Phlip

Gernot said:
That explains everything about EA sports games...

EA lives on buying the name-brands and releasing them as games with minor
technical improvements.

Because technical innovation is not rewarded, it sounds like they will
continue with a language and platform that they have invented for
themselves, based on C and C++.

Further, they are widely regarded as the industry leaders in chronic
overtime. Most game companies do that, and it wastes time and effort to
produce a game. The OP is advised to resist any requests for overtime - paid
or not - even if it means losing this job. It's never worth it.

Noah Roberts

mlimber said:
football, etc., they shun the STL, Boost-ish extensions, and the like
and make use of a lot of global singletons. They use their custom
versions of memset and of malloc instead of new (overloaded or
otherwise), and I presume they likewise eschew exceptions. It sounds
more like C-style code written with some C++ syntax rather than "pure"
C++/OO programs. (Of course, C++ intends to support multiple
programming paradigms, and EA has a lot of legacy code that came from
C-only programs.)

Sounds scarily familiar...are you an industrial spy??

Cy Edmunds

AB said:
Dear All,

I've passed out of college and joined a PC games co (read DirectX). Can
anyone tell me what future prospects are there for a game developer?

C++ is used for most new games. Many of them publish SDK's for the mod
community so you can see for yourself. The down side is that game
development has become such a large effort (teams of greater than 100 are
normal) that one individual can expect only a small piece of the pie.

AB

There's no C++ question as such...just asking what kinda job prospects
are available for a game developer (language not important)