c++ and windows XP

jesuslandaverde

Hi, i'm programming on Turbo C++ for my school, and now we are working
on interrumptions to memory and we are modifying the vectors of the
first MB of RAM, as you know windows XP don't allow you to modify
these vectors, and i want to know if there is any way to modify the
vectors trough C++ without installing a different operating system

Thank you

Phlip

jesuslandaverde said:
Hi, i'm programming on Turbo C++ for my school, and now we are working
on interrumptions to memory and we are modifying the vectors of the
first MB of RAM, as you know windows XP don't allow you to modify
these vectors, and i want to know if there is any way to modify the
vectors trough C++ without installing a different operating system

Use http://groups.google.com to find a forum qualified to answer these
questions. You may also find the answer. This group can only support
platform-neutral C++.

If you compile on a WinNT-derived computer, using a 16-bit compiler, when
you execute your 16-bit program, WinNT will emulate the old 286 architecture
for that program, and will give it simulated hardware registers to peek and
poke. I don't know if these emulations extend to the memory extension hacks.

If you are asking how to do your homework on a WinXP computer, and then run
it on your cheap old school computers, you are probably screwed.

Gernot Frisch

jesuslandaverde said:
Hi, i'm programming on Turbo C++ for my school, and now we are
working
on interrumptions to memory and we are modifying the vectors of the
first MB of RAM, as you know windows XP don't allow you to modify
these vectors, and i want to know if there is any way to modify the
vectors trough C++ without installing a different operating system

Thank you

Tell your teacher that doing such thing is a bit out dated and ask if
he has no better projects for you. Tell him to use a recent GCC
version for their computers (does not cost a cent) and write some
portable C++ standard programs.
If you're bound to do this memory thing yourself, you should try and
get such a machine for your homework yourself. On a jumble sale e.g.
Just my .02 $,
Gernot

osmium

Gernot said:
Tell your teacher that doing such thing is a bit out dated and ask if
he has no better projects for you. Tell him to use a recent GCC
version for their computers (does not cost a cent) and write some
portable C++ standard programs.

I would use extreme care in how I went about insulting the instructor and
his judgement and his grasp of the situation. I would also point out that
there is more than one reason to learn to program, and we haven't seen the
syllabus for the course the OP is enrolled in; I can certainly visualize a
course in which the assignment is valid. There are other reasons to have
some competency in programming besides the end result of being a programmer.

Gernot Frisch

osmium said:
I would use extreme care in how I went about insulting the
instructor and
his judgement and his grasp of the situation. I would also point
out that
there is more than one reason to learn to program, and we haven't
seen the
syllabus for the course the OP is enrolled in; I can certainly
visualize a
course in which the assignment is valid. There are other reasons to
have
some competency in programming besides the end result of being a
programmer.
OK. I didn't want to insult anyone. But if you're on a school where
you would have to learn something that cannot be practiced easily at
home, there is reason for questioning, no?