C++ Design Principles for Ruby - Prefer composition to Inheritance.

John Carter

Item 34. Of C++ Coding Standards is "Prefer composition to inheritance".

The objection is inheritance is a very tight coupling between modules.

I would agree with this but expand it in Ruby to...

Prefer composition to inheritance, but if you get the urge to inherit
consider making a mixin instead.

John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : (e-mail address removed)
New Zealand

Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.

From this principle, all of life and physics may be deduced.