C++ Middleware

Brian Wood

I just came across something called the Visualization Library.
http://www.visualizationlibrary.com/jetcms/ It says, "Visualization
Library
is a C++ middleware for high-performance 2D and 3D graphics
applications
based on the industry standard OpenGL 2.1, designed to develop
portable applications for the Windows, Linux and Mac OS X operating
systems."
Is anyone familiar with that library? The use of the term C++
middleware in
that sentence seems odd to me. I'm not sure how it could be a helpful
way
to describe the library.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
www.webEbenezer.net

Jorgen Grahn

I just came across something called the Visualization Library.
[---] It says, "Visualization Library
is a C++ middleware for high-performance 2D and 3D graphics applications
based on the industry standard OpenGL 2.1, designed to develop
portable applications for the Windows, Linux and Mac OS X operating systems."
Is anyone familiar with that library? The use of the term C++ middleware in
that sentence seems odd to me. I'm not sure how it could be a helpful way
to describe the library.

I bet it happened like this:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030617

/Jorgen

Juha Nieminen

Brian said:
The use of the term C++ middleware in
that sentence seems odd to me.

I'm not sure it's the proper term either. By the description it sounds
more like a wrapper (around OpenGL) than middleware.

I think a good example of a true middleware would be a physics engine
library: It's not a wrapper around anything, but it isn't really
frontend nor backend code. It sits there between the frontend (ie the
code which manages things, eg. what to render) and the backend (eg. the
rendering engine).