C to Java Byte Code

Alfred Z. Newmane

Dik said:
been > for decades.

At least I have a clue *why* long ago people suggested to put a space
in front of the quotation symbol.

I admit your method has it merrits for those without color coding, but
my /only/ problem with it is, that when you use padded quoting,
/everyone/ is forced to see it. However, if you posted in the "normal"
unpadded quoting fashion, then everyone could configure their readers to
do what ever with the quoting, like padding it ti /look/ like you have
it.

Question: Would it not make more sense to setup /your/ reader to post
with unpadded quotes /BUT/ add desired padding to existing quotings in
posts you /read/? That way people can /add/ what ever color coding and
such, and others can /add/ padding, or a combination of both.

It really seems to me that the problem is /posting/ with different forms
of quoting, where ther solution would be to just modify the /output/ of
a post being /read/.

So /please/ consider this :)

Alfred Z. Newmane

Programmer said:
No colors. Looks just like an "old fashioned" post in tin or
something. Oooooh,... 80s flashback!!

Looked bland to me too :)

I made point of this in another post in the thread a minute ago, but
here a summary:

Why not have readers post in one format, ie "> " or so, that is,
unpadded quotings? I think readers should just modify the /OUTPUT/,
meaning the post being read, to add coloring, padding, or both, whatever
the user wants to see the output.

Seems like this is a lot more logical, and would be a viable solution.

Alfred Z. Newmane

Floyd said:
I did find a "bug" in Gnus though... with the
message-yank-prefix and message-yank-cited-prefix variables set
to start with whitespace, invoking ispell on the message buffer
checks the spelling of the quoted text as well as the message
text (which it normally does not). I guess ispell.el isn't as
smart as message.el.

Maybe Alfred Z. Newmane can tell us how OE's spell check
functionality works in those circumstances? ;-)

Well, my OE is set not to check the quote blocks for spelling, so when I
hit reply, everything Programmer Dude said in post became one big quote
block. BUT, if I added outter padding like Programmer Dude did, it would
try to check it. The color coding is non existant when reading his post,
and no point in checking the speling of a post being read :)

Alfred Z. Newmane

Michael said:
You've done a comprehensive survey of newsreaders to determine this?

Actually I have :)
You've done a comprehensive survey of Usenet usage to determine this?

Actually I have :)
You've done a comprehensive survey of newsreaders to determine this?

Actually I have :)
Or are you merely full of crap?

No, I've just been around for a long time, I've tested a lot, and gotten
reviews from users of readers I have not tried. Thats why I initially
made the issue in the first place.

I know some, like youself, might have a different view on this, but
would it nto be mroe logical to have readers post in one fashion, like
unpadded, then have readers, upon reading, format the output whoever,
padded, color coded, etc? How ever the /USER/ wants it, instead of
forcing the whole to see it as the /USER/ wants?

What /really/ is so wrong with a little unity in this reguard? Being for
the sake of sanity and all...

Alfred Z. Newmane

Floyd said:
You continue to advocate the use of *broken* newsreaders as a
default standard for Usenet... (The /reasonable/ solution is to
use a better newsreader.)

Just for grins (and groans), I reconfigured Gnus just to post
this one article. You'll note that it allows the quote prefix
to begin with whitespace, /and/ that is also allows two
different quote prefixes. In this example the text *quoted*
*from* the previous article is prefixed by " AZN>", and text
*quoted* *in* the previous article is prefixed by " > ".

You just demonstrated a point for my latest arguemnt. Why subject
/everyone/ to one form or the other? Why not have one sane way of
/posting/, jsut as unpadded quoting, and /configure/ your reader to show
the /output/ how /you want/? Instead of forcing a message to be read how
a single /user/ wants it.

In other words, formatting should be done on a /local/ scale, not a
/glabal/ one. Now what is so wrong with that?

Ben Pfaff

Programmer Dude said:
No colors. Looks just like an "old fashioned" post in tin or
something. Oooooh,... 80s flashback!!

You could always get a newsreader that does a better job. Gnus,
for example, does a fine job of color-coding that article.

Alfred Z. Newmane

Floyd said:
"Thomas G. Marshall"

Some newsreaders, and some news servers, will refuse to post a
message that contains more quoted text than non-quoted text.
The mechanism used is extremely simple, and merely counts lines
that begin with the most commonly used quote prefix characters.

The method for overriding the count is to use a quote prefix
that begins with a space or any other character that is rarely
used (and thus does not trigger the mechanism). The
newsreader/server will then allow the message to be posted.

Of course it should be realized that when newsreaders and
servers began implementing that mechanism it caused a
significant number of people to permanently override it by
making their default quote prefix something that would not be
counted. That resulted in the now common practice of using a
variety of characters other than '>'. (Other methods to
override it are even worse...)

Well that /deos/ make sense, hadn't ever really thought about that,
thanks for posting that.

Alfred Z. Newmane

Thomas said:
Dik T. Winter coughed up:

I recognized the vi / ex / sed-like command, and knew what it did per
se. I just didn't know what they were trying to accomplish. To
defeat the more quote than substance rule makes sense. (I hope we're
way past ever needing that silly rule again).

I hope so. I haven't seen such a rule imposed on any server in the past
few years now, and I don't know of any newer (version) readers that
check it either. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

That said, if I'm right, I'm guessing you are using that form of quoting
from habit? (At least from part?)

Programmer Dude

Ben said:
You could always get a newsreader that does a better job. Gnus,
for example, does a fine job of color-coding that article.

If there's a decent Win32 implementation, I'd be VERY interested
in switching!

Alfred Z. Newmane

Programmer said:
In this age of nuubs who can't, or won't, edit, I think the
rule makes more sense than ever!

Agreed. And now that I look at my post in parallel to this one, I'm
guilty of doing just that :) I tihnk sometimes it done out of
preservation of that part of the thread. Sometimes one post might not
make it and if your reply does, the context is still preserved. I think
you just need to know when and when not to to it I suppose. Though I
think this point is really up for grabs, being as there are so many
opinions on it; in the eye of the beholder, as it were.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

Alfred Z. Newmane said:
I hope so. I haven't seen such a rule imposed on any server in the past
few years now, and I don't know of any newer (version) readers that
check it either. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I've had posts rejected a few of times over the past few years
using Gnus. At least some were triggered when I accidentally hit the
send button before typing very much.

Michael Wojcik

Now Charles
Lindsey is apparently trying to draft a new version (is that the
same Charles Lindsey I met in connection with Algol 68?). I would
think the 'gnus' people would have something to say about it.

Charles is the editor, but some other folks are credited as
contributors.

Of course, since these are Internet-drafts, anyone can comment on
them, whether they're associated with gnus or not. I think these
drafts are pretty reasonable, though. I'd like to see them become
RFCs. (I'd be even happier with them if they made bottom-posting
and snipping excess quoted material compliance conditions, but that
might make it more difficult to get them accepted.)

Floyd L. Davidson

Alfred Z. Newmane said:
You just demonstrated a point for my latest arguemnt. Why subject

It demonstrated a number of things, but none of them support
what you've been saying.
/everyone/ to one form or the other? Why not have one sane way of
/posting/, jsut as unpadded quoting, and /configure/ your reader to show
the /output/ how /you want/? Instead of forcing a message to be read how
a single /user/ wants it.

That is probably a significantly larger subject that you
imagine.

First, just *who* is going to decide which is the /one/ /true/
/way/? Somebody in Redmond WN that knows nothing about Usenet?
Or should we find someone with technical skills who has been
actively using Usenet for 90% of its life... For example Dik
T. Winters, who clearly does understand it rather well!
(Actually, Dik has probably had more influence on what is
appropriate formatting for Usenet that you might imagine.
Virtually everyone who provided useful technical commentary and
examples in the early and mid-1980's influenced design changes
and RFC's. Usenet was that small then, and Dik definitely was
influential.)

There are divergent philosophies on just where a message should
be formatted, and they cannot be intermixed. There are those
who want the reader/display software to format text according to
the available viewing resources. That philosophy has been the
basis for Apple and Microsoft GUI systems since day one. But it
is opposite the basic philosophy that others use (and in
particular that Usenet is based on), where the *sender* sets the
format. (E.g., line lengths, whitespace, blank lines, and a
basic set of attributes such as bold, italic, and underline.)

Clearly the two views do not mesh, but also just as clearly
there *are* valid uses and value for both, even to some degree
on Usenet. For example, color-coding different quote levels or
using different fonts might be considered a reader-side format
decision. In fact though, the measure of value in any such
feature (for Usenet) is how well it works *without* changing the
sender's formatting decisions.

On the other hand, attempts at introducing readers-side
formatting have caused some of the worst examples of trash on
Usenet. Look at the concept of sending one long line and
letting the reader format paragraphs for line length! That is
an abomination on Usenet, and news software that sends a message
that way are simply broken. There are many other examples too,
though some of them are subtle. Look at the odd ways that some
software treats the end of paragraphs, and for example removes
blank lines between them. *That* is exactly the reason such
concepts should be avoided.
In other words, formatting should be done on a /local/ scale, not a
/glabal/ one. Now what is so wrong with that?

Usenet has *never* followed that philosophy, and it grew from
systems that specifically rejected that philosophy. One reason
is because the people who designed it were techie types who were
and are very picky about how their messages are formatted! Look
at what Dik T. Winters has stated his reasons for formatting the
way he does! *He* wants to decide what his message looks like
when a reader views it. It *makes a difference*, and that is
something he, as the author, wants to control as much as
possible.

Usenet, at least through the first 10-15 years, was explicitly
designed to function the way Dik is manipulating it. I've been
reading his posts (now days with Gnus, but before that with trn,
an before that with rn) for more than 15 years and never once
even noticed that he was indenting the quoted text by one space!
Why? Because it is just *natural*. His formatting style, quite
by intent, makes his posts more readable!

(Or, it did until people came along and misconfigured their
broken software to reformat paragraphs that should not be
reformatted. But really... anyone who is that unaware of the
difference is *not* worth targeting the posted formatting for
anyway! So nothing is lost if they don't see a proper message.)

Floyd L. Davidson

Måns Rullgård said:
I've had posts rejected a few of times over the past few years
using Gnus. At least some were triggered when I accidentally hit the
send button before typing very much.

I can't find anything in the Gnus docs that indicates so, but
it's easy to miss something like that in a quick scan.

Some servers do reject such articles though, and several
moderated newsgroups and mailing lists will reject such articles
out of hand.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

I can't find anything in the Gnus docs that indicates so, but
it's easy to miss something like that in a quick scan.

Some servers do reject such articles though, and several
moderated newsgroups and mailing lists will reject such articles
out of hand.

To clarify, the server rejected the message, and Gnus told me so.

Thomas G. Marshall

Alfred Z. Newmane coughed up:
I admit your method has it merrits for those without color coding, but
my /only/ problem with it is, that when you use padded quoting,
/everyone/ is forced to see it. However, if you posted in the "normal"
unpadded quoting fashion, then everyone could configure their readers
to do what ever with the quoting, like padding it ti /look/ like you
have it.

Question: Would it not make more sense to setup /your/ reader to post
with unpadded quotes /BUT/ add desired padding to existing quotings in
posts you /read/? That way people can /add/ what ever color coding and
such, and others can /add/ padding, or a combination of both.

It really seems to me that the problem is /posting/ with different
forms of quoting, where ther solution would be to just modify the
/output/ of a post being /read/.

So /please/ consider this :)

I'd like to add further that (right or wrong) I have no idea why Dik would
want to make it tough for so many people to respond coherently to him in the
first place. And to see his quotes in color.

Forget whether or not it's ideal. It's the /way it is/: OE + OE QuoteFix is
very common, and all those people are going to have a problem replying, or
worse, they won't even bother trying.

Dik T. Winter

> I admit your method has it merrits for those without color coding, but
> my /only/ problem with it is, that when you use padded quoting,
> /everyone/ is forced to see it. However, if you posted in the "normal"
> unpadded quoting fashion, then everyone could configure their readers to
> do what ever with the quoting, like padding it ti /look/ like you have
> it.

Have you any idea what the clue *is* that I have?
> Question: Would it not make more sense to setup /your/ reader to post
> with unpadded quotes /BUT/ add desired padding to existing quotings in
> posts you /read/? That way people can /add/ what ever color coding and
> such, and others can /add/ padding, or a combination of both.

No, you have no idea about the clue; obviously...

Dik T. Winter

> Why not have readers post in one format, ie "> " or so, that is,
> unpadded quotings? I think readers should just modify the /OUTPUT/,
> meaning the post being read, to add coloring, padding, or both, whatever
> the user wants to see the output.

Hrm. My newsreader is not configurable in that way.

Dik T. Winter

> That said, if I'm right, I'm guessing you are using that form of quoting
> from habit? (At least from part?)

That is one of the reasons. The other is that my newsreader will refuse
to post, etc...

Dik T. Winter

> I'd like to add further that (right or wrong) I have no idea why Dik would
> want to make it tough for so many people to respond coherently to him in the
> first place. And to see his quotes in color.

As I wrote before, before this thread I have only had three complaints in
all the 17 years that I am using the way I quote. Only this thread is
quite vehement about it, and in that thread only three people. I also
see many replies to articles I write in various newsgroups. I am reading
in black on white, and for me a quote stands out better when it is
well-indented. (And, yes, you will not find it in the header, the
newsreader I am using is good old rn, which satisfies my needs very
well.)

But whatever, if you do not want to see it, put in your killfile
instructions to avoid all articles by me or all articles where I
am quoted. A little bit decent newsreader (like rn in 1984) could
do that easily enough.