Can C do this for me?

Silas Justiniano

Hello all!

I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
Tcl/Tk.

So I'm here to ask you about C. I know C has many cool features:
- it's really fast.
- I don't need any interpreter or VM.
- I can use lots of Toolkits with it.
- I can compile under Windows, Linux, many platforms.

I need a language:
- which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
platforms.
- which have web-integration
- which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.
- which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)

I was thinking about:
- Tcl/Tk
- Mono
- Java
- C
- C++

What C can do?

I'll ask about thta in others usergroups. Thank you very much.

Walter Roberson

I'll start one chat program. Firstly, it will be a simple chat program,
only text, after that I want put sound support (like Skype) and video.
I don't know programming well, but I'm fairly good at PHP and Tcl. PHP
is a webdevelopment language and if I used PHP-GTK I would prefer
Tcl/Tk.
I need a language:
- which can be compiled/interpreted under Windows, Linux, many
platforms.

C can do that, if you stick to standard constructs.
- which have web-integration

C as a language does not offer any web-integration, but most
operating systems provide library call extensions that allow the interfacing.
Unfortunately, the appropriate library calls vary between operating
systems, so it is usually better to write the application in terms of
some library which hides the details "under the hood".
- which would allow me to receive and send data like audio and video.

C as a language does not offer any multimedia facilities. Multimedia
is even less standardized between operating systems than networking is.
- which can hides the code (many interpreted languages can't do that)

C does not provide any mechanisms to hide code. As far as C is
concerned, the native CPU instruction set might turn out execute C
directly. Anything having to do with compiling is operating system
dependant, so how easy it is to work back from compiled C to useful
C code is not a concern of the language itself. C does not provide any
mechanism to execute data (trying to do so gives undefined results),
so you cannot (e.g.) take a block of code and encrypt it for storage
in the executable and then at runtime decrypt it and execute the
decrypted code.
I was thinking about:
- Tcl/Tk
- Mono
- Java
- C
- C++

You may also wish to consider perl.

tmp123

Silas said:
I was thinking about:
- Tcl/Tk
- Mono
- Java
- C
- C++

Sugestion: do not use a single language, use several ones (in same or
diferent executable modules). Use something like Tcl/Tk for the user
interface, like C/C++ for the kernel, ... .

Have you evaluated the training costs?

Kind regards.