Can I write an application using Windows and Linux?

Chris L.

I am looking to write an application and am wondering exactly how to
accomplish its automation process.
If my perl application starts on a windows os and then accomplishes its
goal sending its output to a mysql server on a different machine.
Can I then grab this data on the mysql server from a completely
seperate linux machine (running Fedora)?
So thats three seperate systems all networked together (Windows
machine, Fedora Core Machine, and machine solely running MySQl Server).
I'm almost positive (please correct me if Im wrong) the application
will be able to store data from the Windows machine to the MySQL Sever
machine, and the Linux machine will be able to retrieve this data once
in the MySQL database.
However, how would I automate the linux machine to automatically pick
the data up when the windows machine is done writing its Filehandle to
the MySQL Sever??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your expertise.
Chris

usenet

Chris said:
However, how would I automate the linux machine to automatically pick
the data up when the windows machine is done writing its Filehandle to
the MySQL Sever??

One machine needs to "talk" to the other. This is called "interprocess
communication" - you can read all about it at

perldoc perlipc

Mark Clements

Chris said:
[...]

As I understand the scenario, you have a Linux box and a Windows system
both communicating with a MySQL server. You want the Windows box to send
its data to a MySQL server, and then once this process has finished, a
third machine to process this data further. In fact, Windows and Linux
are immaterial here. Machine A sends data to MySQL server M, and machine
B takes action when the process has finished.

There are many ways of doing this: I would have A signal B directly
using some form of RPC. B then knows that A has finished and can do its
thing. The RPC call could be something as simple as an HTTP request to

http://serverb/cgi-bin/processdata.cgi

(with the HTTP server on serverB suitably protected via access control
lists and/or authentication), or using a mechanism such as SOAP. There
is, of course, more than one way to do it.

Mark

xhoster

Chris L. said:
I am looking to write an application and am wondering exactly how to
accomplish its automation process.
If my perl application starts on a windows os and then accomplishes its
goal sending its output to a mysql server on a different machine.
Can I then grab this data on the mysql server from a completely
seperate linux machine (running Fedora)?
Sure.

So thats three seperate systems all networked together (Windows
machine, Fedora Core Machine, and machine solely running MySQl Server).
I'm almost positive (please correct me if Im wrong) the application
will be able to store data from the Windows machine to the MySQL Sever
machine, and the Linux machine will be able to retrieve this data once
in the MySQL database.

I've never tried to connect to MySQL from Windows, but I'm pretty sure it
can be done.
However, how would I automate the linux machine to automatically pick
the data up when the windows machine is done writing its Filehandle to
the MySQL Sever??

There are many ways to do it, from simple to very complex. What kind of
latency can you accept between when Windows is done and when Linux realizes
that Windows is done? Can there be more than one program on Windows at any
one time, writing into MySQL? Can there be more than one program on Linux
reading from MySQL?

Some examples:

1) have windows set a flag in a table in MySQL when it is done. Have Linux
daemon check the flag every 30 seconds to see if anything is read.

2) Use sockets to connect directly from perl on Windows machine to perl on
Linux machine, use this socket to tell linux when windows is done.

3) Rather than having a always running daemon on linus, Use some kind of
telnet or ssh module to have windows log onto linux and kick off the linux
perl program when it is done.

4) use MySQL's lock server to coordinate the behaviour of the Windows and
Linux machines.

Xho