Can .NET match this?

Stan

I would like to know if it possible to achive the same in .NET:

* Phone Nextel i58sr (or any other inexpensive phone)
* Runs JVM and Java application
* Phone is not connected all the time. This is a very important requirement
because the phone is used with a barcode reader and used by a truck driver,
who often out of a cell coverage area. If the phone is not connected, the
driver still can use the application, which than automatically transmitts
the data when phone goes online.

I looked into all MS mobile technologies (Pocket PC, Pocket PC phone
edition, Smart Phones, .NET compact framework, ASP.NET mobile controls, etc)
and it does look like it is possible to do .NET. ASP.NET mobile contols are
nice but require constant connection, Pocket PC and smart phones are too
expensive.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,

-Stan

Mark Fitzpatrick

Stan,
ASP.Net mobile controls are server-side for web sites that are
delivering content to mobile devices and are not controls for the movile
devices themselves. For the mobile devices, there is the .Net Compact
Framework, which is a version of the .Net Framework designed for devices
such as the PocketPC. Basically though, we're probably out of luck until
some group is able to port the Compact Framework to other environments, like
the Mono project is porting parts of the .Net Framework to Linux.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Stan

Yeah, it is too bad that MS does not have anything to match Nextel/Java
(running and download java apps to the inexpensive ($100-$150) cell phones).

The idea of "adaptive rendering" on ASP.NET mobile controls certantly has
its benefits but there are in many cases it is not applicable because it
requires a constant connection.

Even today, there is no a wireless company with 100% coverage... ASP.NET
mobile controls work for people at the airports and bars checking their
emails, but not for the truck drivers...

So, I guess the only solution for this is Java.

John Eikanger [MSFT]

Hi, Stan

I checked with my local Mobile expert and you are correct. If you don't
have either a connection or the compact framework available, we are not
going to be able to help you at this time.

HTH,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
(c) 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.