Can one query full name (or version) of selected packages at pypi?

Caleb Hattingh

Hi everyone

I suspect this has come up before, but google and group searches for
"python package index query" or "pypi query" and the like haven't
turned anything up.

I want to monitor the versions of the list of packages I like having
around, and I expect that the python package index might be a good
place to do this. Typically, such packages would include, say, Pyrex
and PyParsing, for example.

So: I would like to query the package index with a short name (perhaps
wildcarded), and retrieve either the full name (from which to strip the
ver.) or version number, and compare it with what I have on disk. At
this stage, just reporting the differences is fine.

I could do these steps myself with normal http access and
screen-scraping, but is there already such a system/script somewhere?
Alternatively, how do you all keep versions of python addons
up-to-date? Manually?

regards
Caleb

John Machin

[...]

Suggestion: subscribe to python-announce-list, use a filter ...

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Caleb said:
So: I would like to query the package index with a short name (perhaps
wildcarded), and retrieve either the full name (from which to strip the
ver.) or version number, and compare it with what I have on disk. At
this stage, just reporting the differences is fine.

I could do these steps myself with normal http access and
screen-scraping, but is there already such a system/script somewhere?

You can query the Cheeseshop through XML-RPC, see

http://www.inkdroid.org/journal/2005/08/11/pypi-over-xmlrpc/
Alternatively, how do you all keep versions of python addons
up-to-date? Manually?

I use Debian; this automatically gives me updates of all of
my packages.

Regards,
Martin

Caleb Hattingh

Hi Martin

Pretty much exactly what I wanted :)

How up-to-date does Debian keep its package list for python addons, or
are you running Unstable? My big problem, being in South Africa, is
that I have to get any distros on cover CDs or order from
distro-resellers, and they never have Testing or Unstable. Broadband
hasn't exactly hit the local market, although things might be looking
up in a few years or so.

keep well
Caleb

?

Caleb said:
How up-to-date does Debian keep its package list for python addons,
or are you running Unstable?

I'm running unstable indeed.
My big problem, being in South Africa, is that I have to get any
distros on cover CDs or order from distro-resellers, and they never
have Testing or Unstable. Broadband hasn't exactly hit the local
market, although things might be looking up in a few years or so.

That's indeed a problem, then. In this part of the world, an "always
online" attitude is fairly common-place, ignoring that this does
not apply to the whole world (yet).

Regards,
Martin

Tim Golden

[Caleb Hattingh]
My big problem, being in South Africa, is
that I have to get any distros on cover CDs or order from
distro-resellers, and they never have Testing or Unstable. Broadband
hasn't exactly hit the local market, although things might be looking
up in a few years or so.

I have no idea how useful the following will be, but I've
bought CDs several times from linuxemporium.co.uk
and they've always been very obliging when I've contacted
them directly for updates etc. Obviously I can't speak for
them, but I don't imagine it's any harder for them to burn
Debian Unstable/Testing than burning any other download.

They're UK-based, but maybe a distributor in your part
of the world might be equally obliging.

TJG

Chris Lambacher

I could do these steps myself with normal http access and
screen-scraping, but is there already such a system/script somewhere?
Alternatively, how do you all keep versions of python addons
up-to-date? Manually?
I use easy_install. Unfortunately not all packages work. Most notably the
following failed last time I tried:
twisted
pygtk
PIL
win32all
ctypes

Mostly this is because they do something a little bit non standard with
distutils. Newer versions of easy_install may have sorted these problems, I
have not tried in the last month or two.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

I hope that helps you out,
Chris