Can someone explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ouabaine, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. Ouabaine

    Ouabaine Guest

    Hello,

    I have a very strange problem here. I have found the solution, but I would
    like to know what is happening.

    I load a file from a JAR file, using the following code :

    InputStream stream=this.getClass().getResourceAsStream(name);
    if (stream!=null)
    {
    int size=stream.available();
    byte data[]=new byte[size];
    stream.read(data);
    }
    stream.available() returns the correct size, the size of the file in the jar
    file (0x1610E).
    But the above code does not work! Only the first 0x3111 bytes of the stream
    are read, the rest of the array is still 0!

    But it works if I do the following code !

    int c;
    for (c=0; c<size; c++)
    {
    data[c]=(byte)stream.read();
    }

    Could it be that the stream cannot handle such a massive data output at
    once?
    Have you got any idea about this?

    Thanks!

    Ouabaine, Oct 23, 2007

  2. InputStreams are never, ever guaranteed to read the entire size of the
    buffer, regardless of where you're reading from. You *must* use the
    return value to find out how many bytes were actually read and whether
    or not you've reached the end of the stream yet.

    This is very clearly laid out in the javadoc for InputStream:
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/
    InputStream.html#read(byte[])>

    You should embed the read in a loop that reads the next chunk until
    you reach end of stream. You might find this variant of read easier
    to work with for this:
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/
    InputStream.html#read(byte[],%20int,%20int)>

    Owen Jacobson, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Ouabaine

    Real Gagnon Guest

    InputStream stream=this.getClass().getResourceAsStream(name);
    stream.read(data) returns the actual number of bytes read. You have to
    loop until the read(data) operation returns -1 (no more data).

    Try with something like :

    int bytesRead = stream.read(data,0,data.length);
    int current = bytesRead;

    do {
    bytesRead =
    stream.read(data, current, (data.length-current));
    if(bytesRead >= 0) current += bytesRead;
    } while(bytesRead > -1);

    Bye.

    Real Gagnon, Oct 23, 2007
  4. Ouabaine