Cannot set specific authorization to a folder

Magnus

Hi,

I have a web application with the following web.config (I removed area not
regarded to security).
I have a local group called ITCoordinators that I want to give access to the
existing folder Downloads in my root application.

I have no problem to reach the root application, but when trying to access
Default.aspx in the folder Downloads I get Access Denied.
I am logged in as a domain user that is directly added in the local group
ITCoordinators.
I also tried from other computers but it doesn't work.
The local group ITCoordinators are located at my web server called sto45. I
also tried without writing sto45\ but it didn't work.
<configuration>
<system.web>
<authentication mode="Windows"/>
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
<location path="Downloads" inheritInChildApplications="true">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="*" />
<allow roles="sto45\ITCoordinators" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>
</configuration>

Please help
Regards /Magnus

Joe Kaplan

It doesn't look like you have impersonation enabled, so the security check
would be done with the process account instead of the identity of the
authenticated user.

Joe K.

Magnus

Thanks Joe, but I don't think Impersonate is applicable in this case. This
should just be when using code to access other resources as a database.
Tried it anyhow without any further success. Anyone that can confirm this,
and maybe help me?

/Magnus

TygerKrash

Hi Magnus,
My understanding of the authorization rules is that the
ordering is important and that your <deny users="*"> will take
precedence
over your allow rule since it is listed first. Try changing the
ordering.

Failing that I have seen something similar where using the "hostname
\groupname" wasn't being processed correctly and
the apparent solution was to use "localhost\groupname" instead. I
guess that is worth a shot.

Dave.