Can't Debug in Ruby

Grant Curell

I'm attempting to debug in Ruby 1.9.2 with the Eclipse plugin. Whenever
I attempt to debug something I'm given the following error:

F:/Programming/Ruby192/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:762:in
`report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem ruby-debug-ide (>= 0)
(Gem::LoadError)

Running the program works just fine. Eclipse has actually prompted me to
install ruby-debug-ide. I installed it which it claims it did
successfully however I can't find it anywhere in explorer and of course
the error is still prevalent. Thanks for the help.

On a separate note is the installation process always this buggy? This
is like the 5th error in the installation I've had to personally fix.
Not to mention that incredibly annoying bug that doesn't allow any
spaces in the installation path.

Luis Lavena

I'm attempting to debug in Ruby 1.9.2 with the Eclipse plugin. Whenever
I attempt to debug something I'm given the following error:

F:/Programming/Ruby192/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:762:in
`report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem ruby-debug-ide (>= 0)
(Gem::LoadError)

For ruby-debug to be installed under Ruby 1.9.2 you need RubyInstaller
+ DevKit installation:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit
http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Tutorials
Running the program works just fine. Eclipse has actually prompted me to
install ruby-debug-ide. I installed it which it claims it did
successfully however I can't find it anywhere in explorer and of course
the error is still prevalent. Thanks for the help.

On a separate note is the installation process always this buggy? This
is like the 5th error in the installation I've had to personally fix.

What installation process? If you used the command prompt things
should have more evident errors.
Not to mention that incredibly annoying bug that doesn't allow any
spaces in the installation path.

Path with spaces is always a problem for all the tools. If you
installed Ruby or the DevKit in a path with spaces you will have
problems:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Troubleshooting

Grant Curell

Well I lied I got it working for about half an hour. And then randomly
Eclipse has decided that my breakpoints aren't important enough to stop
for so it just runs right through them. It worked one run then hit the
button again to check something different and it just ignored every last
breakpoint. No clue why. Any ideas?

Luis Lavena

That didn't work for me. Apparently there is some sort of bug with one
1.9.2 that won't allow for the native extensions to be built. I had to
follow these instructions to get it working.

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=198162&unread=1&S=6d...

Ehem, but that is what I said to you: install everything from the
console, not from Eclipse.

Install the DevKit and everything.

Anyhow, these instructions are for Ruby 1.8.7, note the use of ruby-
debug and not ruby-debug19:

https://rubygems.org/gems/ruby-debug19

You *need* a debug compatible with Ruby 1.9 since you're using Ruby
1.9.2

It will also need a internet connection and a proper installation of
RubyInstaller DevKit, so the same instructions apply.