can't install ruby-prof 0.7.0 or superior on windows

DG

I found windows users of 0.7.3 here but I still can't instal
=0.7.0 0.6 is fine but doesn't have the pause
functionnality.

What did you do to avoid the error see at bottom. I don't
have space in the path and the google links didn't gave
real hint.

how do you use say:
http://github.com/tmm1/ruby-prof/tree/master

thanks.

Didier

error --

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Error instaling ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-60.gem:

rake
RUBYARCHDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-6
0/l
ib
RUBYLIBDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-60
/lib
extension
'rake' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

Roger Pack

rake
RUBYARCHDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-6
0/l
ib
RUBYLIBDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-60
/lib
extension
'rake' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme ex�cutable ou un fichier de commandes.

gem install rake?

That being said, since you're using mswin32, it should "just install"

d:\dev>gem install ruby-prof
Successfully installed ruby-prof-0.7.3-x86-mswin32-60
1 gem installed

Wonder why it's trying to install 0.7.1?
Regardless, one other route you could take would be to install mingw
version of ruby + devkit, then you'd have a nice shiny compiler to throw
at those binary gems.
http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-installer.html
=r

Roger Pack

DG said:
rake is installed and up to date. still no change - same error.
Didier

Ah are you building from source? If so you'll need a compiler [see my
link to how to install mingw version of ruby, which has a compiler].
You don't have to build from source, though--you can do gem install
ruby-prof
or possibly
gem install ruby-prof --platform=mswin32
GL.
=r

DG

I'd rather not install from source. It seems overkill for
what I am looking for.
I wait if someone as already solved the
case without throwing deeper in the unknown.

thanks.

Didier

Luis Lavena

There is already a windows gem but it doesn't install.

The gem is prior version 0.7, and that one do not work for you, as you
clearly stated.
Somebody knows, we have to wait.

Well, that is not a good answer.

I'm not sure the step used by the gem author to generate the Windows
gem, but what I'm suggesting is help them generate more easily.

Get in touch with the gem author and ask, instead of publicly ask to
someone that is not the gem author (and under some circumstances not
even user of that particular gem).

You can defenitely get more results pushing for the outcome than
siting and wait to be frustrated by the lack of response.

You can try an alternative which is switch to mingw32 based Ruby for
Windows:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/06/28/rubyinstaller-preview1-released/

And install the Development Kit to compiler yourself the gem on
Windows. See the tutorial wiki page for more information.

http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tutorials

DG

Sorry. Sorry. I simply mean, there is some users on windows (found 2
with win32ole+ruby-prof). They may still use version 0.6.
But they miss the pause functionality.

Most of the time, I do not even ask, sit and wait but search,
RFM and found. You are right, I will try to contact the gem
author.

Didier

Alexey L.

try installing a prebuilt binary. There is no one for the last version,
so you have to say:

gem install ruby-prof --platform=mswin32 -v 0.8.1